Importance of Family History

Spanker

First, let me say that I searched "family history" in titles only and found nothing.

I always hear doctors talk about family history and mine is a concern to me.

One side of my family has baldness and the other doesn't. Most of the men on my dads side were noticeably bald by the time they were my age. I am 33. They all had large crown loss by now and mine is solid. I am losing from the front and don't consider myself noticeably balding. Point is, I seem to be keeping mine a lot longer than most men on my dads side.

Men on my moms side seem to have hair.

What does that mean for me? Should I consider myself a future because my family are? Also, I don't look a lot like them. Skin and hair wise. I have darker skin and almost black hair. This is the color of my mom's mom.

What are your thoughts on that?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker,

I've read Dr. Rassman say several times that family history is not an accurate predictor of hair loss. It can skip a generation or two. Someone with not recent history of balding on either side can still end up with hair loss.

My dad is a NW 6 and I may eventually head that way myself. He is now 80 years old but he's probably been a 6 since his mid to late 40's. Even before my hair transplants I'm sure I had much more hair than he did at the same age.

My mom's side of the family has no hair loss. My grandfather died past 80 with a full head of white hair. My uncle is almost 70 and has great hair. I've got four male cousins on that side all between the ages of 35 and 50 with no hair loss.

To make matters worse, my dad's brother was bald but his son (who is two years older than I am) has no hair loss. It's just me and dad in the entire family at this point. :(

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I mentally to say, should I consider myself a future nw6 because my dad is.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

All you can do Spanker is do everything you can with what is currently is available.

As the years go by, medication/surgery etc will advance futher and aid the fight against hairloss.

I have had the same thoughts as you have, as I expect every other hairloss sufferer has.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I mentally to say, should I consider myself a future nw6 because my dad is.

No. It all depends on how the balding gene expresses itself. You could end up with a completely different pattern of hairloss than anyone in your family.

To be 33 with a solid crown and barely receeding hairline, my guess is that you would be safe from NW6. Most men who get that advanced start losing hair a little earlier in life.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D