Minoxidil and swollen face - help!!

SugarHighs

Since beginning minoxidil about 8 weeks ago (I'm 10 weeks post op overall) I have noticed a disturbing trend. My face is retaining water, and my skin at the cheeks and around the eyes is now puffy in a way that it never was before. I have always had skin that was flush against my cheekbones and brow. Before and after photos of my face have helped me determine that I am not imagining these things.

Has anyone found a way to combat this problem?

I am considering scaling back from 3ml minox per day to 2ml per day.

Any concern that this will stunt the positive effects of the minox?

I want to do everything I can to strengthen my hair, but I struggle with the idea of looking like a 50-year-old alcoholic...

Seems like you're having an allergic reaction from it or any other medication taken for example. Contact your doctor/HT surgeon.

I did not articulate clearly what is happening.. I do not experience an immediate swelling after using the minox, rather, the changes seem to have taken place gradually over the course of the last two months.

Sugarhighs

2ml is actually the recommended dose per day...I know most of us probably go a little heavy on the minox to cover everything but that is actually the recommended dose!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Sugarhighs

2ml is actually the recommended dose per day...I know most of us probably go a little heavy on the minox to cover everything but that is actually the recommended dose!!

Yeah NHP, I think I am sticking with 2ml per day from now on unless I hear otherwise from the doctors. I actually started using the Foam sometimes, when I can wait for my hair to dry. It actually works okay, and I can see why you're happy with it:)

As rare as we may hear about this type of side-effect from the use of minoxidil and i trust you are applying it on your crown? Or are you applying it in the frontal area?

Definitely see your doctor or even a dermatologist for advice and direction.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

As rare as we may hear about this type of side-effect from the use of minoxidil and i trust you are applying it on your crown? Or are you applying it in the frontal area?

Definitely see your doctor or even a dermatologist for advice and direction.

I am applying .5ml to the crown and 1ml to the recipient area (the front), as advised by my clinic, in the morning and then again at night.

I think I am going to cut down to .25ml at the crown and .75ml at the recipient area.

I've started using the foam but find I get headaches now and it feels like pressure in my head so I'm popping my ears a lot does anyone else have a issue with foam? It could be a coincidence or the aftermath of surgery but just wondered as I've never had problems with liquid minoxidil before.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

• 2 weeks later...
I am applying .5ml to the crown and 1ml to the recipient area (the front), as advised by my clinic, in the morning and then again at night.

I think I am going to cut down to .25ml at the crown and .75ml at the recipient area.

Sugarhighs,

Have you noticed any improvement?

Hope you are doing better! :cool:

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Sugarhighs,

Have you noticed any improvement?

Hope you are doing better! :cool:

Yeah, I am okay Gille thanks for checking. I cut down to 2.5ml per day for a week or two and now I'm going to go to 2ml per day.

I've also decided to take the minox very early in the morning and then again before bed.

Was using it at 12pm and 12am, but the noon usage I think made me more swollen later into the evening.

Awesome Sugarhighs, it's amazing how just a little bit of an adjustment can make that much of a difference. In addition, you help minimize the potential shocking effect when making smaller adjustments over time. Very wise on your part.

Thanks for the feedback! :cool:

Gillenator

• 2 months later...

Question, can I apply minoxidil "twice in a row" without washing the hair, with no ill effects?

For example, I would like to shower at night before going to bed, apply minox, then apply it again in the morning when I wake up. Then I would goto the gym around 12-2pm and wash the hair thereafter.

Any issue with that, or do I have to wash it between each application?

Sugarhighs

Yes you can do that. And I think I know the reason you want to do that. Just to get it over with. What I typically do is put it in first thing in the morning. I'll leave it in 4 hours. Wash my hair and the put it in at night. If I'm going out that night, I do what you said. However, I've found if you apply foam to damp hair and let it dry, it's almost like you have none in there. Then you can use your styling agent.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Sugarhighs

Yes you can do that. And I think I know the reason you want to do that. Just to get it over with. What I typically do is put it in first thing in the morning. I'll leave it in 4 hours. Wash my hair and the put it in at night. If I'm going out that night, I do what you said. However, I've found if you apply foam to damp hair and let it dry, it's almost like you have none in there. Then you can use your styling agent.

Hmm so foam and then styling product. I was using the foam as the styling product, but you're right, it looks like you're not using product. Maybe I will give your method a try!

And you're right, I don't want to wash my hair twice a day, simply for the purpose of rinsing out minoxidil. Mainly because washing your hair that much will dry it out.

I found that the foam works as a styling product if you use a full capful on short hair, but the instructions really state to use half a cap. Liquid minox works too, but it makes your hair really stiff.

I am not sure what people are talking about when they say get it on your scalp not your hair. If it gets on your scalp, it's going to get on your hair! I do the method of touching the dropper to my scalp like one the senior members here mentioned, though.

I like to wash my hair, gently pat towel dry, and then apply the minox after 20 mins assuming I have time.

I still find the Kirkland Minox to be far superior as far as effectiveness to the foam, in my opinion. With the liquid, I can feel the effects within 5 mins, my face flushes, and sometimes I get a throbbing in my veins. There is definitely some "vasodialating" going on. With the foam, I don't always notice that effect, or it is much more minimized.

• 5 months later...

It's not a side effect at all. Its a normal effect on account of the crappy patient instructions you have been given. I had the same problems, and later had swollen ears.

The product is seeping on to your pillow in the night (perhaps through sweat) and then getting on to your face and ears. If you wear a hat that stays on in bed all night - like a balaclava or one of those women's drying turbans the problem will go away and your face will be normal again. You will need to immediately wash your sheets as the product is on your pillow.

Also increase the washing of your pillow cover as the hat will come off in the night and monoxidil will get on to your pillow.

I really think the manufacturers should have worked this out as it is not rocket science. I think a class action should be brought against them as I had pain and went to hospital.

Let me know how you get on with the advice.

Since beginning minoxidil about 8 weeks ago (I'm 10 weeks post op overall) I have noticed a disturbing trend. My face is retaining water, and my skin at the cheeks and around the eyes is now puffy in a way that it never was before. I have always had skin that was flush against my cheekbones and brow. Before and after photos of my face have helped me determine that I am not imagining these things.

I want to do everything I can to strengthen my hair, but I struggle with the idea of looking like a 50-year-old alcoholic...

It's not a side effect at all. Its a normal effect on account of the crappy patient instructions you have been given. I had the same problems, and later had swollen ears.

The product is seeping on to your pillow in the night (perhaps through sweat) and then getting on to your face and ears. If you wear a hat that stays on in bed all night - like a balaclava or one of those women's drying turbans the problem will go away and your face will be normal again. You will need to immediately wash your sheets as the product is on your pillow.

Also increase the washing of your pillow cover as the hat will come off in the night and monoxidil will get on to your pillow.

I really think the manufacturers should have worked this out as it is not rocket science. I think a class action should be brought against them as I had pain and went to hospital.

Let me know how you get on with the advice.

Not a side effect, but the product is getting on to your pillow and then to your face. Wear a balaclava or women's drying turban in bed and the problem will subside. The hat will occasionally come off in the night. Wash your pillow case every other day as well.

The a-holes who make the product should have advised of this problem as it is not rocket science. I think a class action is possible. Let me know how you get on.

Regards

There are several manufacturers of minoxidil based products for hairloss that have potentially much higher concentrations of minoxidil that can potentially cause additional and even more pronounced side-effects.

They are typically made outside of the US so they are not under the scrutiny of the FDA. :rolleyes:

Gillenator

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious if anyone's tried both brand Liquid Rogaine, and Kirkland long term at different times? I'm wondering if there is a difference in the inactive ingredients, and if it's worth a change. Or are all the ingredients and measurements identical? Kirkland is just a little too scratchy.

I also wanted to try 5% Minoxidil with glycerin instead of PPG, but there doesn't seem to be any reputable source for this in the US. :( A web site used to sell "Essegen-5" but it's been shut down by the FDA /feds.

Most of these minoxidil based products vary in their active ingredient which is the minoxidil itself. Hard to say how much variance there are with the differences in their inactive ingredients. Many contain various types of alchohol based/related additives.

Possibly they list them online at their websites. If you get a chance to read the inactive ingredients in Rogaine foam, it's a real eye opener. :rolleyes:

Gillenator