Query on a myth

Hi, I've been told that if I have an oily scalp, wearing a cap will deprive the scalp of ventilation and will result in hair loss. True or false?

How about scenarios with toppik peppered on the scalp? Will it deprive the scalp of the necessary ventilation?

If you wear a cap it wont cause hair loss. Unless you wear it way too tight and it causes traction against your scalp aka traction alopecia. Oily scalp may make the hairs look THIN, and yea I think an oily scalp in general if it is accompanied by sebum can make you have thin hairs or cause hair fall as the sebum will choke your hairs. That's what I think. Any other scalp acne/condition may make you have thinner hair in general.

Sometimes too much oil just ain't a good thing. I use to have a really oily scalp. But by invigorating my scalp with soft shampoos and rogaine foam, it seemed to stop that problem. Maybe certain supplements I am taking also helped. Who knows, but it worked.

I think toppik should be applied and then washed off immediately. It may clog pores and cause pimples and cause issue with the grafts. Remember this as well, toppik is actually made out of sheeps whool. So, I don't think it is a good idea to use it right after surgery and to have it on for long periods. It should be washed off daily and I think you should wait 2 months after surgery to even use the stuff, that's just my opinion. Let your area heal well first then think of using it. After all, hair transplantation is a huge investment. Why risk damage to your investment right?

It has been found that Toppik can cause problems with hair transplantation.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

It has been found that Toppik can cause problems with hair transplantation.

Just curious where this has been found? I don't use it, but it would be helpful for those who do if you are aware of some study or proof that it does hinder hair transplantation.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website