Upper graft limits without shaving for FUE

Ive been looking around trying to establish differences between different clinics with regard the shaving of the head for FUE. In a thread showing SMG results it seemed that a patient with them had a lot of grafts placed without being shaved and in a comment I noticed Janna said that they can do up to 2000 without having to shave (Apologies if this is a misquote Janna, im still convinced ive somehow got the wrong end of the stick!).

My questions are, are you aware of other clinics upper limits, if that number is correct thats by far and away the highest Ive seen. If it is correct, why do many other clinics not feel comfotable going above a small amount of a few hundred grafts. Finally, is it advisable no matter what to shave, does the risk of losing grafts increase dramatically if you dont shave?

I continually read that shaving helps to prevent shockloss. Can someone explain the reasoning? I can see how shaving makes it easier on the surgeon (without having to deal surrounding hairs) but why can't surgeons accomodate a patient? I realize the donor needs to be shaved in any case but that can often be covered.

If you are having a large number of grafts places, 3000 plus, I would think its basically impossible to do without shaving...I know Dr Arocha does large cases without shaving and he gets excellent results...so yes it can be done! However, even as a patient, I had my head shaved completely for my surgery with Dr Rahal...4800 grafts! I didn't want anything hindering him in any way! Yes, It would have been nice to not have to had shaved and been able to conceal right away,as I had plenty enough donor hair to conceal...however, in the end, I am convinced the only way to go is shave! I have heard the argument long enough from top physicians and its just better to shave...

A shave will lessen the chance of transection, will certainly make it easier on the surgeon and the techs, will lessen the chance of shock( I still got shock with a shave so its NOT 100 percent guarantee, but it helps, MUCH easier to keep the grafts and the donor incision clean post op!

Just a few examples of why I am PRO SHAVE!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Dr. Konior will do it without shaving. I think it costs a little more because it is more time consuming. I personally disagree with most people here about the shaving down thing. I think if you are goIng to A top doc that is comprised of a very short list, I think that it will not effect yield or shock any more a shaved ht. Sure, it's more difficult, but when carefully done, I don't think it matters.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Dr. Konior will do it without shaving. I think it costs a little more because it is more time consuming. I personally disagree with most people here about the shaving down thing. I think if you are goIng to A top doc that is comprised of a very short list, I think that it will not effect yield or shock any more a shaved ht. Sure, it's more difficult, but when carefully done, I don't think it matters.

Spanker,

You are right, Dr Konior will do it without shaving..However, I know from personal experience( I was originally booked with Dr Konior) he certainly prefers to shave!! He stated to me all the benefits that I mentioned above for shaving...I also think he has a limit..ie.2500 grafts or so..anything above that is a mandatory shave...I think!! However, like I said, I know he is pro shave..

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

Nhp,

I am meeting with him in about 3 weeks I hope. I understand that docs prefer to shave, however, I honestly believe it is for convenience and because the grafts my have to stay out a little longer, which may cause a little risk. I personally feel convinced that Dr K is skilled and meticulous enough to not transect native hair. This is just my opinion. I will be having about 2 cm of my hairline worked on and plan on shaving the first cm and having the back cm non shaven, so I can go back to work fast with not much down time.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Nhp,

I am meeting with him in about 3 weeks I hope. I understand that docs prefer to shave, however, I honestly believe it is for convenience and because the grafts my have to stay out a little longer, which may cause a little risk. I personally feel convinced that Dr K is skilled and meticulous enough to not transect native hair. This is just my opinion. I will be having about 2 cm of my hairline worked on and plan on shaving the first cm and having the back cm non shaven, so I can go back to work fast with not much down time.

Spanker

I understand your situation as Ive seen your photos...you are in a great situation to not have to shave...Im just saying in a general sense, I guy that needs his whole scalp worked on is gonna benefit from a shave, just easier...I know thats what Dr Konior wanted me to do was shave...

Also, good luck with Dr Konior!!! He is a super guy! Down too earth and he will literally talk too you as long as you want! He will totally put your mind at ease! I know you have personally waited a long time for this...Im truly excited for you! You will be in great hands with Dr Konior if you choose to go that route! Tell him I said " Hey "

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

Thanks Nhp. I am starting my MBA this month so I want to be all squared away by the time I finish and go to a new job, so I have to start moving I this. I will let you know.

View Spanker's Website

Thanks Nhp. I am starting my MBA this month so I want to be all squared away by the time I finish and go to a new job, so I have to start moving I this. I will let you know.

Spanker

I know this for a fact, That MBA, is gonna be way harder than your transplant!! lol

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

Spanker and NHP thanks for chipping in. Just to be clear however, my post was referring to FUE not FUT. I know that some Drs are prepared to go up to 500 or so and it was my understanding that was about the upper limit, but i could swear i saw that SMG can go up to 2000, just seemed incredible to me, im sure i must have the wrong end of the stick!

Im also curious to see mountainvans question answered too as that too is something im very ignorant on.

Good luck with Dr.Konior spanker and also on your MBA.