What should be the first step?

Hello i am 27 about to turn 28. I have rather longish hair but i am starting to get a receding hair line and also balding on top (not as far as the crown though)... It is not that noticeable but it is coming...

Also I tend to have a rather bad scalp where i get dandruff/psoriasis rather easy and I pretty much have to use Head&Shoulders most days to keep it away.

At the moment i am wondering what would be the best first steps? I have read about Regain and Procerin but they all seem to have good/bad points to them. Also i am not really keen on a drug which i would have to use for the rest of my life.

Should i just go to see a normal dr or would they not know about these things? Also I tend to be rather secretive about this because i am very self conscious about it?

I live in Australia/Melbourne and wondering what the best options would be?

hi ausboy

first thing dont panic , your 28 and are only starting to notice the signs of mpb .

you have plenty of options to you and if can act now then you will be ahead of most in the game. (no point closing the stable door after horse bolts)

i too was around 27/8 when first noticed thinning at the temple region luckily this didnt transfer to the crown region (still hoping) . i did nothing for about two years and it gradually got more noticeable and more upsetting for me. it really affected me.

i was suffering from alot of stress at the time as well as the hairloss . i never went to my gp first but i would reccommend doing that first so a trained medical professional can explain the reasons and options to you. he may or may not prescribe you propecia or the like.

i currently am only taking minoxidil as i dont like the idea of taking propecia given the possible side effects. i would highly recommend starting minoxidil immediately.

next port of call would be to visit some local hair clinics and find out from them possible treatment options etc, it would probably be wise to give it a year or so before committing to any treatment to see if your hair loss stabilises.

again before committing to any surgeon do your research , however you have found this site and im sure now that you have you will avoid many of the pitfalls people can make in tackling their hair loss.

good luck and keep posting questions here and the like

Rogaine foam and a small portion of propecia to begin with to see if you can tolerate it without any issues. No one wants to take a drug for the rest of their lives or have transplants etc but sometimes you have to do what you can to fight back or not bother at all to begin with.

Then do your research in case you want to consider hair surgery later on. I'd use the meds for a year first.

Once you've done research, do some more.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

So curious should i try and stop using Head & Shoulders as fast as possible? Also what are some good shampoo/conditioner that i should use which i can wash my hair with everyday.

So so far i am thinking of getting

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/product/48/Rogaine-Foam-Men-1-Month-Supply/

Does anyone know if you need to go to the Dr's in Australia for a Porpecia prescription in Australia?

Could just the Rogaine (I am pretty sure that is the australian minoxidil) help or do i NEED Porpecia?

Also what are the pros/cons? It says that you might get hair loss but is it heaps? I mean if it makes your hair fall out but does not help i would look more bald :\

I would stop the head n shoulders everyday application....First, NO SHAMPOO is gonna reverse hair loss, these are to b used in conjucnction with rogaine and finasteride...however, when used in conjunction with these, I think you can see a major difference...here is an example of what I use for shampoo

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.....Revivogen shampoo- feels great, lots of natural DHT blockers.

Sunday and Wednesday- Nizoral shampoo..

This is a good start IMO!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Ahhh ok that sounds like a good start.

Do you know what a good every day conditioner would be. Does not have to help with my hair loss just something which make it not get any worst.

As I said my hair is longish so if I use Shampoo I need to use Conditioner. My hair has also become rather dry from Head&Shoulders....

Also i am not really keen on a drug which i would have to use for the rest of my life.

Understandable.

But ask yourself, do you want to have hair for the rest of your life? Would you have a problem popping a multivitamin everyday?

I know, it sounds complicated and I felt that way once. I was shown the drug propecia in 1996. I refused to take it for over ten years, during which i went from Nw2 to Nw5-6. In other words, I went bald.

Now I take it (lol) , and it is no problem. It seems like it never would have been. Everyone is different, and you might not tolerate it well, but right now it is the single best thing you can do. Get a blood test first, if it would help you, and check the DHT level. Do it in the morning.

You don't even need a prescription for something like fincar, which you can get online cheaply. Just cut it into quarters. Sounds messy, but the dose over 4 days evens out at about 1mg a day, You loose .25 in crumbs. Minox is only beneficial in some people.