Simple advice on comparing doctors

A patient who had seen me a few years ago, and who'd had a bad experience in the past with a hair transplant elsewhere, recently re-contacted me to let me know he was now thinking of moving forward with revision surgery. I reviewed his chart and recommended a 3000+ graft case and encouraged him to stop in so I could see his head again, and so that he could see a case in progress and have all of his questions answered.

This morning he sent me an email saying he was really motivated to proceed and had it narrowed down to me and another doctor out of our area, and he wanted my advice on why he should pick me.

Those of you who have seen me in person know that I'm not a big salesman, but rather prefer folks to choose me based on my track record. And I prefer informed and educated patients who come from forums such as this.

Ths following paragraphs are my advice to him, and as I typed it, I thought it was reasonable advice to anyone considering surgery, whether by me or any doctor.

I've never heard of the doctor you refer to, but that means nothing. My advice to you is:

1. do your research, if he's got a bunch of good cases on the various hair forums...he's probably fine. guys like feller and me and maybe 15 others post regularly, so almost anyone can find 200 cases that i've (or those doctors have) done. you don't need to see 200, but i'd want to see a few.

2. if you are picking between 2 guys who really offer the same product, pick the one you think you can get along with for 8 hours better. but make sure you are picking between the 2 guys who really offer the same product...

I'd be happy to work with you, but do all the research you want and then decide. I don't do much in the way of comparisons with other practices. I just post a lot of cases and let the market of informed consumers decide.

Good luck in your decision.

Thanks

Now I realize that proceeding with surgery is a big decision for people and that I'm not the only show in my town. But I do think that an educated patient tends to make better decisions. That is the main value of these consumer oriented hair sites in my opinion.

Educate educate educate, then make the best decision you can.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

You know, forums such as this can really provide terrific information. There of course can be some areas where only consultation with a doctor (or 2) can really iron out the issues, but by and large the forums do a great job.

I recently bought a 5 year old jeep, and I've been looking at doing this for 3 years now. While its not surgery, it is a big deal for me, and I joined a jeep forum a few years ago. It helped me tremendously in letting me pick what I really wanted, and help me avoid a bunch of mistakes that I'd likely have made had I just shown up at a used car store.

Also, now that I have it, I'm getting a few modifications to it and I find that I'm just as question-filled in my dealing with the fellow I chose to modify the jeep and patients are when they pick me for a surgery. And I picked my mechanic solely because of his reputation on the jeep forums, and confirmed that opinion with a visit.

I've discussed with him the value of forums for consumer/patient education in both of our fields.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly a lurker on here, but this is what sealed it for me. I saw 4 other local HT doctors in the NOVA area and never got a good feel for them. Finally did a bit of Googling and found this forum. It was apparent from the first interview he was the right doctor. Had my procedure with Dr. Lindsey 9 days ago and glad I spent the extra time involved and did not pick an inferior doctor. Dr. Lindsey is a class act and I am fortunate that he's here local.

Wow, great advice; I wish every Doctor was... well... an ethical Doctor like you are Dr. Lindsey.

Some people seem rather forcing one to buy a product more than helping the patient.