Ready for my FUT next week BUT still have some questions

Pitbull

Hello all,

I have been lurking in the background on this board for several months and would like to thank all the people that share there experiences with us.

I have considered doing a FUT for over a year now but never met the right DR and the circumstances were always wrong. I have decided to go forward with DR. Mohebi in Encino ca on we'd this coming week.

Although I have read through numerous posts I would still like to ask advice of some experts.

My questions are as follows:

My biggest concern is the sleeping after thensurgery, l am a very light sleeper and then smallest thing will keep me awake. How long will this be an issue ? How many

Days will I have to sleep in that seated position? How long will it truly be uncomfortable?

I have sensitive skin and fear that I may bruise or remain red for a long period of time after surgery, any suggestions?

I have had several surgeries in the past which have left scarring, I keloid quite a bit (this is like ingrown pimples that remain under the skin) and even after a surgery I had 8 yes ago I go once a yr to the dermatologist for an injection to flatten out the keloid. I don't want the strip scar to get bumpy and have a deformed kind of head. Anyone have issue with there scar?

I wear my hair longer at this point and prefer toncontinue doing this, I have discussed with dr mohebi and he hasbagreed not to cut ,y hair prior to surgery, I am thinking this will hide a lot of the redness etc etc.

I do not reallyfear the injections as I know they affect people differently and I seem ton have a high pain tolerance but is there anything else to consider pre or post surgery to remedy any possible 'discomfort'?

I will be getting 3500 grafts, mainly in the frontal hairline trying to bring my hairline down an inch, I have receded enough over the years so that I feel like my forehead has become a small ski slope :(. After my initial consult with dr M, I started propecia as he requested and will continue this regime for another 6-8 months postoperative to reduce potential shock loss.

Any additional thoughts, ideas, suggestions to improve my experience? This would be much appreciated from all the veterans that inhabit this site.

Thank you and happy growing

Pitbull

Hello, speaking from my experience, the sleeping was very uncomfortable for about 5-7 days then it improved but was still very awkward until day 14 when the staples were finally removed.

After that your head is still sore and bruised but the sleeping is much better!

Sleeping at a 45 degrees angle was 2 weeks for me as the staples were annoying me so I wore the head cushion that whole period and even after the staples were removed.

The meds they'll give you will help. First night I slept for 3 hours- not bad!

I tied my feet to the bed & wore kitchen gloves whilst in bed. I didn't want to either turn on the grafts as I like to sleep on my chest, and I didn't want to scratch!!

Edited by Dutch

Sleeping is difficult until you get your staples/sutures removed and then it begins to get better. The only way I could get some sleep at first was to use the neck/travel pillow. If you don't have one of these definitely get one. I am not familiar with your surgeon. Best of luck with your surgery.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

BTW I don't know who this surgeon is unfortunately, please do your research very thoroughly before taking the plunge. Once you have done your research, do some more!

Dr. Mohebi is recommended on this site.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Hi,

The clinic should give you information on how to make life easier whilst you recover. One recommendation will be to roll a towel up and place it under you neck to elevate your head whilst you sleep. Alternatively, I used a travel pillow which worked wonderfully, plus I took vallium and painkillers for about 5 days until the sutures were removed.

Good luck

Rod

Sleeping will be very uncomfortable for a couple of weeks...I was running on pure adrenaline..I have never rested so much without so much sleep!! If that makes any sense...It does get better after a couple of weeks but you will be nervous about grafts and donor area, plus its just hard to get comfortable!! Just trying to prepare you...its ALL WORTH IT THOUGH!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Hi,

I also think it depends on the size/length of surgery. My latest HT on 1/29 was a smaller session of 2075 grafts and after 4 days I felt pretty good but it depends on the individual.

Best wishes

Rod