early stage hair growth comparison

Hi,

I would like to ask the forum, how early hair growth in the days and weeks after a Ht compare with the final result, I had 1st Ht 17 days ago 3700 grafts, to the front working back to they ran out (still have a large bald crown), anyway I am pleasantly surprised by how the top of my head looks, lots of hairs growing, quite good density no shedding yet, is this a good gauge of the final result as these are mature hairs? or can I expect it to grow back in with even more density? just wondering from guys with previous experience what to expect? is what I'm seeing now nothing like the final outcome or is it a good gauge? I know one answer is to be patient and wait and see and another is "stop looking in the mirror" both these are hard when you've been without hair for so long, now you look in the mirror and there's hair there!!!

It is way too early for you to tell. Everyone is different in how fast your transplanted hair grows. Early growth is exciting, but I am not sure it is a predictor of the final outcome. I was an early grower with my first hairs starting to grow around the 2 month mark. I am still seeing changes and improvements as I approach 8 months. It is just a long process, so be patient.......I realize how tough that is to do :)

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Can't really tell at such an early stage and it's not an indicator of what's coming. Always good if you're an early grower around months 2-3. I only shedded maybe half of the hair and the rest started to grow at month 1, but still no way to tell how I'll end up. Good luck & post some pics when the exciting phase kicks in.

I had mine 3 weeks ago...while I don't think Ive shed all my transplanted hairs, as I had over 10,000 hairs transplanted, I do continue to notice hairs on my hands after I apply rogaine...I don't think I will shed all my hairs, but I am definitely still shedding some!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Hi,

I would like to ask the forum, how early hair growth in the days and weeks after a Ht compare with the final result, I had 1st Ht 17 days ago 3700 grafts, to the front working back to they ran out (still have a large bald crown), anyway I am pleasantly surprised by how the top of my head looks, lots of hairs growing, quite good density no shedding yet, is this a good gauge of the final result as these are mature hairs? or can I expect it to grow back in with even more density? just wondering from guys with previous experience what to expect? is what I'm seeing now nothing like the final outcome or is it a good gauge? I know one answer is to be patient and wait and see and another is "stop looking in the mirror" both these are hard when you've been without hair for so long, now you look in the mirror and there's hair there!!!

Hi I think your in a great position. At this stage if the hairs fall, they will only grow back thicker....on the other hand if they dont fall they will continue to grow thicker and thicker....either way u win!

Im 3 months post HT. the first 7 weeks are the hardest if u had all your head shaved but at 2 months its all onwards and upwards!

Can I ask you wokeupto' what were you like after 3 weeks, I'm 3 weeks today, check my pillow every morning, still no grafts shedding, at 3 weeks I have lots of hairs growing, would love them not to fall out, I got a ht believing that they'd definitely fall out, go back to being how I was pre tranplant, people say don't look in the mirror for a good few months, hard when new hair is growing, bit confused of what to expect post transplant, any info from previous patients would be great, I have seen a few people very similar to myself and there grafts have eventually shedded, suppose it's bound to happen soon.

Edited by wrapper

As far as I know, (and can remember) from my HT 7 years ago - the hairs you have 3 weeks post op are good indicator of the shape of your new hairline - and I can understand that it's quite an exciting time because you can imagine them continuing to grow.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), the chances are they will now start to shed and begin their phase of regrowth, so things will probably get worse before they get better.

If you're already excited by what you can see now, I think you will definitely be pleased with your final result.

Just one additional question - you mentioned that they 'ran out' of grafts? This happened to me as well, at Norton Clinic so they had to leave one of my temporal peaks empty - I mentioned this to Dr Feriduni recently at a consultation and he said that HT surgeons should never run out of grafts - so would be interested to get your take on this?

Anyway, congratulations on getting what I think (the surgery) is the worst part over with, now you can just look forward with excitement!

Hi England,

Thanks for reply, in answer to your question, I was alwas going to run out of grafts, they worked from the front back the way, there was never going to be enough grafts, that was established before surgery, I would have needed 6000+, they had 3732 to work with, the more I read the more I realise that having all my grafts growing at 3 weeks is fairly normal and that they are due to shed soon.