Question for young men who had a H/T

I am 26 and have been considering a hair transplant to strengthen my existing hairline.

I found out from a surgeon that young men have a higher chance of experiencing their donor scar to stretch.

Would you all mind sharing how your donor laxity was at the time of the surgery and how your scars turned out?

I feel that my scalp is almost too laxitive and I'd be more prone to have a stretched out donor scar. I'm not sure if I should continue with the scalp exercises either? I'm looking to have surgery early spring.

Thank you for your time in answering my question!

Also if any surgeons want to post their views I'd appreciate it!

I am 26 and have been considering a hair transplant to strengthen my existing hairline.

I found out from a surgeon that young men have a higher chance of experiencing their donor scar to stretch.

Would you all mind sharing how your donor laxity was at the time of the surgery and how your scars turned out?

I feel that my scalp is almost too laxitive and I'd be more prone to have a stretched out donor scar. I'm not sure if I should continue with the scalp exercises either? I'm looking to have surgery early spring.

Thank you for your time in answering my question!

Also if any surgeons want to post their views I'd appreciate it!

I'm 23, was 22 when I had the HT performed. My laxity was solid and my scar has turned out fine; though it did stretch some, I don't think this had much if anything to do with my age.

How many grafts are you shooting for? As a virgin scalp, depending upon the # and doc, you may really not need to worry too much about scalp exercises, IMO.

Also, who told you that you are at greater risk for a stretched scar? Epstein, right? Not saying the validity is otherwise, but I've never heard anyone else say this, so I'd at least try to get a couple more opinions w/ reasoning, etc....at least before I started making any decisions based off of the possiblity.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Rachmuna,

Like Thanatopsis_awry, I too would like to hear a more thorough explanation of why Dr. Epstein claims young patients are at greater risk of scar stretching.

It's my understanding that younger people are at greater risk of acquiring Ehlers-Danlers Syndrome, a condition in which the skin is ridiculously stretchable.

In my opinion, speak to your selected surgeon about this and garner their and a few other professional opinions.

Perhaps a few doctors will offer their input on this topic as well.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by thanatopsis_awry:

How many grafts are you shooting for? As a virgin scalp, depending upon the # and doc, you may really not need to worry too much about scalp exercises, IMO.

Also, who told you that you are at greater risk for a stretched scar? Epstein, right?

I am looking at 1,500-2,000 grafts.

Yes it was Dr. Epstein. I will ask the other surgeons that I'm in contact with.

If any other young guys can let me know I'd really appreciate! I'd like to know what the patients said. icon_smile.gif

I know IrishLad on here had his scar stretch. If a few more guys claim the same.. Well...

One more thing...

I'd like to get a definition on "young", since age is relative right? icon_smile.gif

I had my first hair transplant at 27 (which is still pretty young) and received an amazingly thin scar.

Now, I'm one case out of thousands, but I'd definitely like to hear more on this subject, with reasons, and possibly studies to back it up.

Hey Bill,

Got a question for you if you don't mind. I'm concerned about how long i'll have to be careful in regards to the donor scar? I understand it's best that i stay away from weights for at least six months, but what about time with the girlfriend if you get my drift, at what point can i stop worrying about stretching the scar, or enjoy an alcoholic beverage again?

Will it be like being in a neck brace where you can't turn your head to quickly etc....

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

Originally posted by Petchski:

Got a question for you if you don't mind. I'm concerned about how long i'll have to be careful in regards to the donor scar? I understand it's best that i stay away from weights for at least six months.

6 months! I heard from each surgeon 1 month tops for extensive lifting and 1 week for light lifting that doesn't flex the neck.

Just try to use common sense and I think you'll be alright after a month or so.

It's possible to get a good weight training session going using a reasonable amount of weight without putting too much stress on the neck area. And certainly you can avoid affecting the donor region as long as you take your time and your technique is good. I honestly feel more strain on my neck looking behind me to back the car up than I do on the bench press.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Petchski,

Hair transplant doctors have varying opinions on resuming physical activity after surgery. However, most I've talked to agree that you can start cardio and light training after 10-14 days and gradually work your way up to full intensity. This is true for sexual activity as well :-).

In my opinion, it's better to avoid any exercises or activities that would put extra strain on the donor area. This would include crunches with your hands behind your head, any exercise where you are looking down with your chin to your chest, and some exercises with your head pressing against the equipment, like flat bench. The important thing is to use common sense. If an activity is causing strain on the donor area, stop and move onto something else.

Remember though that it does take the donor area several months to heal. This is why it's advisable if you are planning a second procedure not to start scalp exercises for 6 months after the procedure.

You should however, be able to resume all physical activity long before 6 months. Contact sports should be avoided for at least 3 months.

I hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Bill

I too am a little worried about the statement being 23 as i am due to have the staple removed tomorrow (will be 10 days post) but now i'm wondering should i keep them in?

It all seems to be healing great with a very thin line at present though...

===========================================

3,500+ Grafts Jan 9th '09 Dr Alan Feller

View my Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

I think Dr E may be corrilating that the skull decreases in size after age 20. After that it would be less of a tight fit. The smaller skull is one of the reasons we get wrinkles, but not the only one.

My scar looks like it didn't stretch, but I need to get a short haircut.