20 yrs. old with very thin hair(pics attached)

i used to have a very thin hair since i was a child and at the age of 14 my friends told me that they can already see my scalp but that time i still doesn't encounter hair fall until at the age of 17. everytime i take a bath i noticed 8-10 strands of hair in my hands when i shampoo.

at the age of 19 i tried to use minoxidil but noticed no effect and then i tried herbal topical lotion for hair loss and seems to be very effective and hairs growing in front of my hair but not at the crown (which makes me sad).

My question is, should i undergo hair transplant at a very young age? or if not what age is ideal for HT? My confidence is greatly affected by my thin hair i might be good looking but with my thinning/ thin hair makes me look ugly. i already started saving money for having ht in the near future. i need advice :(

i included pics of the back of my head. this is the latest and it is really fucked up. i cant enjoy my life as a teen because of this. i THANK all of those kind people who will give me advice.

01192012153.jpg.ab0366548b2b5b19c374f602deadb562.jpg

01192012159.jpg.c953f485cc067ee17d266d280261fe82.jpg

01192012165.jpg.b5878ccad310cc882c4d1cb70f6b6829.jpg

01192012172.jpg.fc8f0a466a57a5e6d788d494e30333c9.jpg

alright fella, have you done research into propecia? this fights the root of the problem, most people have propecia,nizoral and regaine foam, known on here as the big three

do a bit of research into these solutions, in my opinion you defifnatly have a great chance to save your hair

This sounds just like me 20 plus years ago. Basically my 20's and most of my 30's were spent wearing a hat. I first noticed my hairline receding around 16-17. At ages 22-23 or so I had 4 small transplants to help out the front half. Luckily my back half believe it or not has held on somewhat, and when I started Finasteride over 2 years ago I got an improvement from front to back. I consider myself lucky, and this could also happen to you. Get on Finasteride. You are young and still in the fairly early stages, plus Finasteride is best in the crown, right where you need it. By the time you hit 40, you could still have a good bit of hair.

I do not however recommend a transplant in people as young as you. You have no idea where your hairloss is going, and you haven't tried Finasteride to try and stabilize it. No doctor on this site would transplant you. How good is your hairline?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I agree, surgery is way too early for you as you don't know where your loss will head in the next 10-20 year. Like you I started losing my hair at around 16-17 maybe younger but was silly enough not to look for meds. Look into propecia & regain foam. Sure save up for surgery but I wouldn't recommend you going for at least another 6 years. I didn't have surgery until 31 which was 3 months ago.

Propecia will help your crown

Wise words have been spoken.

We can see that your hair is thinning at the crown, but I wouldn't call it "very thin" yet. As your hair was always thin (are you Asian by any chance? Hair density tends to be lower in Asian people) then you haven't lost that much to get to where you are now. With medical intervention (the treatments people mentioned before me) you have a good chance of improving things, and perhaps more importantly, you stand the chance of stopping any more loss from occuring.

It's possible that you didn't give Minoxidil long enough to work. You didn't say how long you used it but it can take months for results. Some people don't realise that and give up too soon.

Lastly, maybe you could experiment with a shorter hair style, which might make the loss less visible. Or just shave your head. Some people fear doing that, but it's an acceptable style these days.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

yes im an asian of chinese descent. well byron, west, dutch and matt i thank all of you for commenting on this topic. i only used minoxidil for 1 month because i noticed no improvement even on strand of hair that im losing. right now im quite skeptic on taking finasteride because there's a big issue about it having problems with sexual desire, erectile dysfunction and etc.

i even read an article about that here Baldness Remedy Side Effects | Men's Health for the side effects. although its very rare i dont want to gamble with it, i don't want to regret taking it.

i also cannot shave my head because i find it very awkward i tried it before and its really not good for my appearance i have to endure this for now but i also cut my hair short its just that i still haven't visited any salon.

should i consult a dermatologist first? so that i will really have a good plan for treating my hair loss? thanks again!!

Edited by ydennekss

You're hair is not very thin. It can and probably will get much worse over the years. A little Toppik will easily cover that up. Getting on finasteride and minoxidil together immediately may help keep what you have and maybe even thicken it up.