Requesting advice...

Hi guys...

Recently had a consultation with Hospital Group (Ziering) in Belfast after deciding that a hair transplant is for me... Im 30 years old and have lost most of my hair at the front and greatly thinning on top, although a fair amount of hair still grows there in a reduced state. They recommended 2250-2750 grafts for around ?8000.

They recommended starting propecia to thicken up the hair on the top and a transplant to restore the hairline, working back and blending through to the crown. They would have supported doing a transplant without any reason for delay.

Although I dont dispute their recommendations, after reading the barrage of negative comments on here, I've struck them off my list for local UK based surgeons. It seems like too big a gamble with too much cost! My only other UK option appears to be Farjo who I plan to have a consultation with in the coming months... Ok so now come my quesitons for the experts...

1) Is it worth my while flying from Belfast to London for a consultation with Farjo only to be told to start taking propecia and come back in a years time??

I recognise that I will have to take propecia starting pretty much immediately anyway and that it will take roughly a year to see its effect... I know propecia wont regrow the hair which is lost at the front.

2) Many of you seem to recommend going overseas for the best treatment. Is it possible to have an online consultation with pics then booking treatment? Or would they require meeting me in person first? Thus requiring two trips to NYC for example

Ive included some pics of my hair just to illustrate my current hair loss.

I'd really appreciate any advice guys.

Many thanks,

Gary

IMG_0807.jpg.db95af82f4d4383c73ef9a92ea5db2fa.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg.b2871c4106f2ee422d15a03110bd75a4.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg.e39ed0dba599aedd4eb7cd1482793338.jpg

Hi there, i had a HT with the hospital group 4 yrs ago and spent 4 yrs regreeting it til i got it rectified at the end of last year :)

Regarding your questions i would definately try propecia as it will at least slow the process of hairloss. I have been on it 18 months now and starting seeing good results after a year, but you have to stick with it.

Regarding online consultations you can do them online, i had my consultation with Dr Feller online through spex on the forum and sending pics in. They were able to give me an estimate of what i would require and we took it from there

Hope this helps, best of luck :)

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Definitely consider meds.

You can send pics & the relevant clinic will give you an online consultation & recommendation. I live in London & flew 5k miles for my operation. I contacted a few clinics then chose Hasson & Wong. But I kept looking online for advice and past results which convinced me to choose the right clinic

mistalyle,

If i were in your shoes i would grow your hair to about 1cm in length and get some good quality pictures taken.Send them to several doctor's on here and you should be in a better position to know which way to move forward.

Medications are definitely a viable consideration but try to think of the long term outcome as well as looking at trying to improve things for now.

Mick

Patient coordinator for Dr. Bessam Farjo who is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Click on the "Consult a Physician" at the top of the page and you can do an online consultation with any doc you want. This is a big decision and a potentially life altering event so do your research, take your time, and make the best possible informed decision that you can.

Good luck!!

• 2 months later...

Hi Mistalyle check out my profile and pictures the pics show before during and up to nine months after my HT. 2200 FUT. grafts

Have just returned yesterday after having a further 2150 FUT grafts will post more pictures in due course in total both procedures have cost me ?5450 thats for 4350 grafts.