Opinions on how to apply Minoxidil

bjk1903

Hey everyone, I will be starting my Rogaine treatment 2 weeks from now(asked the doc, he said that should be enough time post ACell/PrP injections). I would like opinions on the best way to apply it. Is the foam or solution better? What would be the best times to apply it? Offer as much detail as possible please. Thanks all.

Hello, I used to use mino liquid, that was horrible as it ran down & itched, the lotion used to make my scalp flaky. 1 weeks ago I started the foam. Very easy to apply & none of the issues associated with the other two types. Ensure both the scalp & your hands are clean & dry.

Put the foam on your finger tips and gently rub it into the scalp for 1 minute. It will dry quickly (under 30 mins). You're meant to apply it twice a day. I do it once a day.

Edited by Dutch

I have long hair so I feel the liquid is best as you use a dropper so I can get it closer to my hair otherwise with the foam most of it would never reach my scalp. I however only use it at night, put it on a few hours before I go to sleep and leave it on as it makes my hair look pretty crappy. I just try to get as much hair out of the way and apply it to the scalp and then I try to hide the greasy hair by covering it with dry hair just using my hands.

• 2 weeks later...

Does it matter if you use it on dry or wet hair? I have pretty long hair and I feel it will be easier if I apply to wet as most of the hair is stuck together so I can reach my scalp easier.

*The Rogaine website suggests drying the hair and scalp but if you are going to apply to wet hair, then it says to at least towel dry it, btw I am using the foam.

Edited by bjk1903

I like the foam much better because it is easier for me to use. Like someone else said the dropper would cause it to run down my forehead. The foam although more expensive...for me is easier to control during application. I normally just use it before bed. Although the one problem with right before bed is it can begin to show some stainage on pillow cases. I blow dry my hair so I'm not sure how that would work if I did apply it after a shower. I have found Costco tends to have pretty competitive pricing on Minoxidil and I usually buy the 3 pack foam set.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I used to hate the foam - it seemed to be much more difficult to apply to the scalp (rather than the hair) than the drops were.

Recently I noticed that I was getting much more dandruff from the drops, so I have started using the foam before work and the drops before bed. This is working very well for me.

One tip with the foam - wet your hand and then brush the water off your hand, before you use the foam. When your hand is slightly damp, the foam doesn't just disappear before it hits your scalp (which is the problem I used to have)

The foam is definitely the most convenient to use!!! Right now I am using the liquid, per Dr Rahals instruction after my hair transplant...Ill use it for a month and then go back to the foam...Minoxidil will absorb more in the scalp when the hair is damp or wet..however, technically you are not supposed to do this..hope this helps...good luck!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website