Is A Hair Transplant After Having A Stroke Safe

I had a stroke 10 weeks ago, thankfully everything is just about back to 100 % except my speech which is at about 90% but coming along slowly but surely as I could not talk at all after the stroke, I could make sounds but nobody could understand them.

I have had prior HTs and planned on having another ~1200 graft strip hairline procedure in late 2012 which would be a year after my stroke.

I was wondering if this could be a problem now, I'm not sure if Dr Feller or other Dr's browse forums but I would love to hear input from everyone.

My Dr says my chances of having another stroke are 2% while the average persons chance is 0.5 %

The cause of my stroke was high blood pressure which is now under control with readings of 115/75

Hello, hope that you are feeling much better now. Maybe some surgeons make a comment on your question, I don't think the operation itself would cause you any trauma or stress but you'll be emotional & will have excitement before the operation, so thats pressure. The surgery itself for me was a walk in the park. Sleeping was very uncomfortable though. All the best

Edited by Dutch

It's definitely too early to consider another tranpslant. The first thing you must do is get clearance from your neurologist and cardiologist to see if it's safe. The other is that medication that is given during the procedure can raise your blood pressure and could be dangerous in your situation. I would also assume you're taking some kind of blood thinner which can complicate things further. Speak to your neurologist and cardiologist first, I think you need to wait a few months at the earliest.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

It's definitely too early to consider another tranpslant. The first thing you must do is get clearance from your neurologist and cardiologist to see if it's safe. The other is that medication that is given during the procedure can raise your blood pressure and could be dangerous in your situation. I would also assume you're taking some kind of blood thinner which can complicate things further. Speak to your neurologist and cardiologist first, I think you need to wait a few months at the earliest.

I wouldn't do the HT until at least one year passes

I'm not on any blood thinners as I had a bleed ( hemorhage) not a blood clot.

What do they give you that raises BP ? Superjuice ?

Yes epinephrine could raise your blood pressure

How much do you see it rise ? My BP is about 115/75 now and I monitor it all the time and in all sorts of conditions.

I was benching 365 x 6 before the stroke. I don't want to lift heavy like that again but I still go up to 225 x 10, it only raises my BP to 155/90 immediately after and it goe back to normal within minutes

It really varies from patient to patient. This is something out need to discuss with your surgeon, cardiologist and neurologist.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

In our clinic we would have your clear yourself with your doctors as TheHairUpThere said. Depending on the clinic you are going to you most likely will be required to cease all blood thinners before surgery but at the same time you may be on blood thinners so this is where you will run into the biggest potential conflict. Good luck on your recovery.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

In our clinic we would have your clear yourself with your doctors as TheHairUpThere said. Depending on the clinic you are going to you most likely will be required to cease all blood thinners before surgery but at the same time you may be on blood thinners so this is where you will run into the biggest potential conflict. Good luck on your recovery.

I am not on blood thinners, blood thinners would have killed me as I had a hemorhage not an Ischemic (blood clot) stroke

I may just say forget it as it's more of something I want than need. It's mostly just to soften the existing hairline and is easilly covered if I blow dry my hair forward or use any hairstyle except brushed straight back.

I can't see my Nuerologist saying anything except " Your F$%%#$ing nuts" if I ever mentioned it and I doubt any Dr would sign off on something like a hair transplant

Have either of your clinics ever done a HT on someone who previously knew they had a stroke ? I say knew they had a stroke because I have discovered there are a lot of people who have had a previous minor stroke and don't know it

Edited by Profoam