how painful - suture removal

I happen to have some aversion for needles and pain ... so I prep properly:

- how much pain you feel during suture removal?

- at 2 weeks removal, is there a risk that skin might have formed over the suture threads?

- any tips one can use to minimize pain during/before removal procedure?

Also when I sleep to my side, there are some knots of suture thread (attached pic), that does hurt me, is that normal? (i mean they wont be piercing into scalp and scarring it right!)

z.jpg.33322dc917a4082341a000aa81f5282e.jpg

Edited by donp

The suture removal was the worst part for me, not to blow smoke up your rear. I understand staples are a bit easier coming out. It hurt a bit more than mild discomfort. I would call your doc and see what you can do to prepare for it, maybe soaking the wound or applying a mild anesthetic cream or something. Give him or her a call. I did none of those as I was told it was a piece of cake.

I doubt any skin would grow over the sutures but if it did the suture will slide out.

Don't get me wrong it was toture or anything but for me it wasn't pleasant either. The bright side is that is over fairly quickly! A shot of Jack Daniels wouldn't be a bad idea. If you are really worried about it you could always take a xanax or valium to calm down and relax you, again discuss this with your doc!

Good luck!

Thanks for the helpful info. How about the suture knots as you see in pic attached ... I have still few days left before sutures go away and I am having trouble sleeping due to them ... they pinch in the head as I turn during sleep.

At this point you have to tough it out or sleep in a recliner with one of those travel doughnuts around your neck so you're not rolling around on the sutures. Take an ambien if you can get one, you will sleep like a rock and not move an inch.

Don't psyche yourself out about the suture removal, at worst it will be a few minutes of slight pain and best it will be a walk in the park.

Patients with highly sensitive skin can purchase LMX topical anesthetic cream and apply it over the suture line 30-45 minutes prior to the suture removal. I prefer that the area be cleaned prior to application so as to facilitate absorption into the local skin region. This cream will numb the superficial skin and make the removal process more comfortable.