3,035 grafts to crown- Dr Cooley

This patient consulted with us about his hair loss in the crown. He was happy with his frontal hair and did not want anything done to the hairline. We started finasteride and performed an FUT of 3,035 grafts (1-880, 2-1516, 3-649; 5,829 hairs). ACell was used in the grafting. Results are one year later. His hair is a little longer in the after photo and he had been on the finasteride, both of which likely contributed to a fuller look, but overall, it was judged to be an excellent result.

1.jpg.6be0afcd266baf3a61072ee8e09d2ec1.jpg

2.jpg.5e3df17bff80c9a55a8fb3318f804c63.jpg

3.jpg.4348691616a160c7d7eb65d0333b92de.jpg

4.jpg.bffed11a5116909ed35ad37f695269ca.jpg

5.jpg.9047c0729df0068c894ab30484fde842.jpg

6.jpg.8a122ae908e0a98aaaee643d884c71f9.jpg

7.jpg.02a58ec5e8fe9684a6e99cbd65f37cc6.jpg

8.jpg.fb752d42cff6a6ffb8086d1f02e72136.jpg

Dr. Cooley - What is the ave grafts per sq cm transplanted in this case?

Great result!!!

Thanks for the feedback. The area covered was 90 cm2 which included the entire thinning border of the baldspot. So the avg density was about 35/cm2 but certain areas would have been much higher, and the border areas would have been much lower. We don't generally graft at higher densities in the crown because it can consume alot of grafts and deplete the donor area, as well as having a higher chance of causing esthetic problems if the surrounding areas thin.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Dr. Cooley. One more question if you dont mind is that I hear doctors talk about transplanting the crown border (I am talking about sides and not the bottom of the crown) with less density than the middle of the crown. When I get my crown fixed eventually as it is not all that bad yet, I feel that the center crown would not be all that important to me but rather the outside/sides of the crown would need more density to properly frame the head when viewing from the side. I know the crown side border typically is less dense even in non balding men so maybe this is the reason?

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Thanks for taking the time to respond Dr. Cooley. One more question if you dont mind is that I hear doctors talk about transplanting the crown border (I am talking about sides and not the bottom of the crown) with less density than the middle of the crown. When I get my crown fixed eventually as it is not all that bad yet, I feel that the center crown would not be all that important to me but rather the outside/sides of the crown would need more density to properly frame the head when viewing from the side. I know the crown side border typically is less dense even in non balding men so maybe this is the reason?

It is complicated because there are many factors to consider including the patient's age, hair characteristics, current baldness, rate of hair loss, whether they are on finasteride, donor supply, etc. The goal is to produce not only a look that satisifies the patient in the short term, but also one that will stand up over time. It is best to be evaluated in person to get an individualized recommendation for you.