Strange request, would appreciate some help.

]Hi guys,

This is a weird one, I have been suffering for patchy leg hair growth. I know a lot of you might think it's not a big deal but it looks very bad and very obvious. I'm still quite young (22) and seriously dislike any activity involving wearing shorts. It got so bad now that I literally hate summer, especially those hot days when I'm the only person wearing long pants. I make up excuses when friends ask me to hang out just so I don't have to expose my legs.

I have read about these procedures for months now and have made an appointment with dr knudesn. I live in New Zealand and he is the only reliable surgeon coming down. I have also contacted Dr. Path yesterday but have not yet received a reply. I have graduated last year, am fully employed now and saved all my money just for this. This problem pretty much dictates my life and I just want to get rid of it and stop having to make up excuses to why I can't do specific things. I have to admit that I am very scared about it, not the pain, not the money (maybe a little as I have worked for 2 years after finishing uni and all my money will be gone), but mainly that it won't work. My main point of concern and I can't seem to find a definite answer on this is that the transplanted hair will grow at very long lengths because it has the characteristics of the scalp hair. Is that true, or will it slowly adapt? I don't mind if it slightly grows longer than my existing hair but I don't want my legs to look like Madonna's head...

If you guys need more details let me know, comments are greatly appreciated and any help/info as well.

EDIT - I have added Pictures, link below:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Stranger2003/albums/1177/7652

Edited by Stranger2003

Stranger2003,

Welcome! When transplanting scalp hair to the body, the hair will continue to grow long as it did on the head. This is more commonly done with eyebrow transplants. You will have to trim those transplanted hairs in order to maintain an acceptable length. This is easily done with hair clippers.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks for the answer TakingthePlunger.

Just a couple of extras, could I use hair from my upper leg to transplant to the lower legs?

That would probably lead to additional costs but is it a possibility? I have also read somewhere that if you transplant scalp hair to the body it slowly adapts in some cases and will stop growing too long. Were they completely wrong about this?

Edited by Stranger2003

Do you know the reason behind your patchy leg hair growth? If it's autoimmune alopecia, then perhaps transplantation is not a viable option. If the etiology is not autoimmune, and thee is no disease behind the patchy growth, then transplant could be a viable option.

It's definitely not alopecia as I have researched this and the symptoms are nothing like mine. It's more of a weird transition (my granddad has the same growth). I have had this since it started growing, the haireless patches are also defiantly able to produce hair as they already do but not many and odd shapes.

Edited by Stranger2003

Stranger,

Might I suggest a simpler and most cost effective option...Laser AWAY all your leg hair. Many guys get rid of their body hair and smooth legs are quite common.

Tons of athletes and gym rats do it all the time. In fact, many guys trim down their leg hair with body trimmers.

You could simply get the much more affordable and predictable "Laser Hair Removal" and take away all your leg hair. It would look uniform, be significantly cheaper and put you through a lot less stress.

As a trial you could shave all your leg hair first, if you like it...you could try a more permanent option.

I have already considered that as an option but I think in the long term it would be more expensive and I would need quite a few sessions. I am waiting for a reply from Dr Path and Dr Epstein with a price. Dr. Path seems very cheap and highly recommend. In my opinion I would need about 1000-1500 hairs on each leg to shape the hair on my upper legs to meld in with my lower legs. If Dr. Path can help me I could get this done in maybe $5000 including flights, hotel etc...

I just graduated uni last year and in my first job saving every penny just to get this done. I want this to be the last summer I spend inside, it's literally that obvious. I do not hang out with my friends during "the best time in a teenagers life". I just make up stories about going places but in reality I spend my summers by myself inside which occasionally makes me very very depressed (It's summer right now over here). I have $9000 saved up so far and will spend every single cent on this as I feel like I live in cage.I just want/hope it works as I do not know what to do otherwise. I will post pictures of my legs if you guys are interested, just let me know.

Breakfast time.

Edited by Stranger2003

Yes, I think posting the pics wold be a good idea. Its hard to imagine how it could look as bad as you say. I've never seen leg hair that looked like it was worth having let alone adding some.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Hi,

Doctor Pathomvanich is the top rated hair transplant surgeon in Asia and you won't go wrong with him.

He does charge $2.80US per graft and if you have to 2000 - 3000 grafts to fix your patchy leg hair it is going to cost a lot more than you think. If you need 2000 grafts it would cost you in the vicinity of $5600US just for the procedure + accommodation + travel + expences. Probably at least $8000US for the trip for a 2000 graft transplant. He is very good and there are only 1 or 2 others in Asia that you could consider.

Do yourself a favour and don't go to the hacks in Australia and New Zealand.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards

Rod

You are young - only 22. You don't know if you'll need donor hair for your head eventually. If you go bald in ten years are you ok with that? I wouldn't use 2K grafts for leg hair that people rarely see - especially if you have any relatives with MPB. Donor hair is a finite resource. Use it wisely.

Just wear jeans in the summer. Shorts are lame anyways.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Stranger,

In theory, har can be harvested from any part of the body and transplanted to any other part of the body. So, moving hair from one part of your leg to another should not be a problem in terms of growth.

I've also heard talk of hairs changing their characteristics after transplantation. Specifically, I've heard discussion of body hairs transplanted to the head eventually becoming more like the surrounding scalp hair. However, I wouldn't count on it. If your proceed with transplanting scalp hair to your legs you should be prepared to trim those hairs for life.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I'm willing to spend this amount on money on it as it literally bothers me that much. I don't think I will go bald very soon looking at my family and my scalp hair. Both my granddad's have their full set of hair, my dad as well and I seem to follow the flock. I'm also planning on using BHT (Hair from upper legs) as I don't want to trim afterwards.In another twist I have recently found out 1 shaft != 1 hair so I might potentially need less. I am still waiting for a price from dr. path and dr. Epstein, they haven't replied to my latest e-mail yet but stated it would take a few days.

Will upload pics soon guys and edit my main post!

I don't want to have really hairy legs, just that transition around the knees done. I also want a few hairs in the massive bald patches stopping the skin from being that shiny. (Basically a natural look with the least hairs possible).

Edit - Based on the pictures I posted and your guys experiences with the procedure how many shafts do you reckon I need?

I will also keep this updated with everything I do regarding the procedure if you guys are interested

Edited by Stranger2003

Thought I'll give a quick update. I looked into laser hair removal (thanks to the user suggesting it) and I'm going to get that done. I still want to do the hair transplant but just fix the patchiness around my lower legs and zap away the rest. I will probably need 300-400 on each leg to achieve this which is not much. I'm contemplating about seeing doctor Umar as he seems to be the holy grail of BHT but it is quite costly (I do have enough money right now to do this). I am waiting on a reply from dr knudsen and dr path and if they are confident they can do a BHT for me than I will go with them instead. I really want BHT, I do not want the scar on my head and don't really want to keep the legs trimmed. The donor hair on my upper legs is also very thick and solid.

I'm glad you are pursuing Laser Hair Removal first. I think you should also consider shaving it just as the most cost effective alternative. Have you at least tried this? Your legs are honestly not as much a focal point as you might think and probably will look great without hair. People's view of legs tends to focus on them as a muscle group and so without hair, you will be highlighting your physique. I think you are making a wise choice by considering all your options before deciding on transplant. -Just like many of the members of this forum we pursue all alternatives and continue to approach hair loss with all the tools the industry has to offer.

Okay buddy, I just viewed your photo and I believe the best solution is actually using clippers to even out your leg hair. Before shaving or even trying laser hair removal, get yourself a beard trimmer or body hair trimmer ($15 Walmart). Trim your leg hair. Your leg hair is not as 'patchy' as you might honestly suggest and IMHO you should not be getting a transplant without exhausting all options. I would simply trim back your upper leg hair to even it out with your lower leg hair...you'll be surprised how with a bit of 'manscaping' things will improve. A lot of guys have uneven chest hair and by simply hitting it with clipper #1 or 2 it evens it out and the visual is drastically improved.

The laser hair removal doesn't affect me a lot financially so I will definitely do this. I still want to fix my patches which would be a very small procedure, maybe even 200 hairs on each leg. This is also why I am pushing for BHT as I do not want to trim and a scar on my head for a mere 400-600 hairs. Thanks for all the feedback though and doing research into LHR also helped, I always thought it would be very expensive but 5 procedures with the top clinic over here is only $2500.

Quick question, has anyone had experience with dr. Knudsen?

I heard nothing but good about him but I'm not sure if he performs BHT and have not had a reply from him yet. (The only complaint I found is the small sessions he does but other than that he is very good at his trait.) If he is skilled at FUE does that mean he would be good at BHT as well, he only states FUT/FUE on his website. Considering the low number of shafts I need this shouldn't be a problem, that's what I tell myself on a daily basis.