All procedures are for people in 30s or 40s

I am 26 yrs of age and life has changed in last 4 years. Every year i look different because of the pace with which I am loosing my hair.

Tried research, but all the postings are for guys who are in late 30s and early 40s. NOne of the posting talks about a guys in his late 20s getting a procedure done.

Can someone help on this please. So very appreciate it.

Cheers

Not true! There are a lot of guys in their 20s having transplants..the truth is, at 25 you may be a better candidate than someone who is in their 30s or 40s..however, when you are young, you just need to make very sure you have a strategy with your quality surgeon regarding future hair loss..you probably ARE NOT a very good candidate at this point if you are " losing hair at a rapid pace " like you said..that would be a big concern! I would start with medical therapy..ie..rogaine and minoxidil!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I agree with NewHairPlease...get on meds to slow down your hair loss. I would also start contacting some of the top surgeons mentioned on this site as you are best suited to hear it from them what their professional opinions are regarding your case. Many people get HT's in their 20's...you just may have to be more conservative especially if the pattern of your loss is not yet determined...however in your 30's and even more so say in your 40's it is easier for the most part to see the pattern and plan accordingly. So consult with some docs and get on meds. Research on this site as you will learn a lot and it will probably answer other questions you may have.

Getting a HT in your late 20's is doable, but first use meds. If you do get a HT you must plan for future hair loss and I would highly recommend a conservative approach so that you have plenty of donor left to address potential future hair loss. Top clinics will assist you with planning for the future.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

What everybody has said here is very true!

The problem is people in their 20s tend to have the most ambitious plans, because they want to look young and to have lots of hair again. Of course, the fact it, the younger you are the more conservative you should probably be because you don't know what your hairloss will be like in the future, and you don't want to pack lots of hair into a relatively small space in your 20s and then have limited donor and advanced balding in your 30s and 40s+

Lots of people do have HTs in their 20s, but you should ideally be on meds to stabilise your hairloss as best as possible, and your goals have to be realistic. A good doctor won't let you blow 4000 grafts on your hairline just because it's getting a bit weak, because you could be heading for a NW 5+ and you need to have that in mind. But if your goals are realistic, your hairloss stabilised and you've done your best to keep a track of your hairloss and plan for where you might he headed, a HT in your 20s is a definite possibility.

Personally I think the medications are important, but ultimately will fail at some point in time (finasteride, dutasteride do not block DHT 100%). I'm certainly don't recommend against them, especially if you do not have any side effects, but realize that there is no cure and the hair may fall out anyway albeit at a reduced rate.

So plan for the worst case scenario and allocate where you want to put the hair based on that.

Lifeneverhadaproblem if I were you I would get on Propecia right away. I was your age when I started losing my hair. I got on Propecia around 27 and I think it saved me a lot of hair. I am 38 now, and I had a hair transplant back in 2008 I was an N5 By then, so start saving your money I'm sure you'll want to get one in the future. I know hair loss took a lot out of my life. There are lots of guys in their 20s getting hair transplants.

Lifeneverhadaproblem, how advanced is your hair loss? One advantage of being young is that Finasteride usually works better, if you catch your hair loss before it gets very noticeable.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I'll play devil's advocate here and say that pills and medication is only a temporarily solution and does not yield any growth in the front. And on top of that, save those medication money on a permanent transplant. The younger you do the transplant, the less obvious that people would know you had anything done to your head.

This is all predicated on what procedure you prefer and finding the right doctor.