Natural Hair Density

Bana

I saw on a website that they transpant 80 grafts per cm. How does this compare to how much hair grows per cm naturally. The results didn't look near as dense as natural grown hair.

I saw on a website that they transpant 80 grafts per cm. How does this compare to how much hair grows per cm naturally. The results didn't look near as dense as natural grown hair.

I've never head of HT's matching natural density, and I think there are some arguments some docs have against dense packing due to blood availability to allow follicles to survive. Some of the pics look like they've been packed pretty tightly though. My doc said you typically get a fraction of the density and the results are best when grown out.

One way or the other, the obvious facts are you have a finite number of follicles (for now) and it depend on how far you have to spread them. For me it's a b!tch because I have to cover my whole head, stupid patterns. icon_mad.gif

Rogaine 5% and Propecia can make all the difference as they can stop (and in some cases reverse a bit) the loss, and that's less coverage required from the donor areas.

YOu can tell from the before and after pics of some people here. Some (me) end up "less bald" after a procedure, while others (Futsyhead) look like they've never had a hairloss problem.

Thanks! Do you have a link where I can see Futsyhead's photos?

I am worried because I like to shave my head real short, and I don't have much area to fill in so maybe I am able to get a more dense natural look? Is it even possible to go as dense as natural grown hair?

Thanks! Do you have a link where I can see Futsyhead's photos?

I am worried because I like to shave my head real short, and I don't have much area to fill in so maybe I am able to get a more dense natural look? Is it even possible to go as dense as natural grown hair?

You can get a natural look yes.

But thats not the same as what nature gave.

And anyway no one will give you as many hair as nature had placed originally.

Not unless body hair or hm becomes commonplace.

Hi NA,

The average patient bears 80 natural "hairs" per cm2. If 80 grafts are utilized, that appears to attempt to double what mother nature established us with since the "average" graft bears two hairs. And generally speaking, if you can achieve 50% of original density, you should get some decent coverage.

As was mentioned earlier, be sure to consider the other areas of future loss so you do not over dedicate your finite donor to any specific area. Plan for the future. Best wishes!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks guys! Ok so if someone got 80 grafts it should appear as double density than your natural grown areas, or the same? So this means 20 grafts would appear as 50% of original density correct?

Therefore I should probably get 40 grafts per cm for my needs to create a most natural look...

NA,

Yes about 40 grafts per cm2 should do it unless your original density is higher. 80 hairs per cm2 is the "avearge" density.

Did you ever have your donor density evaluated by a reputable HT surgeon? That is what you want to do ultimately and it cannot be done through pics. You will need to have an in-person evaluation. Unfortunately not all HT surgeons pre-calculate density so be sure you ask the HT surgeons you talk to about this area. DO NOT allow anyone to "wing" it and simply respond by stating you have enough donor. Stay away from doctors who give you this type of response because obviously those types of responses imply that they are not wisely evaluating the donor nor the recipient areas especially considering future loss and the need for subsequent procedures.

A good competent HT surgeon will also examine for miniturization which can indicate those areas where you may sustain future loss and will want you to plan accordingly with the reserves you have, not what you do not have.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I'm one who thinks the claim that 50% of

original density gives the "appearance of

fullness" is mostly rubbish.Just compare

someone with ht to someone with a full head

of hair to see what i mean.

Terms like "appearance of fullness" "extensive

coverage" are marketing/sales terms that the

ht industry uses to advertise and lull in those

with visions of restoring a full head of hair.

they can't honestly/legally claim to give you

back a full head of hair,but they like to use

such phrases to lead you into thinking they

can.

Obviously if you densely pack a small area,

this will leave you with less in storage to

cover the remaining balding areas.one of the

biggest oversights i think prospective patients

make is to not fully understand how much hair

one can lose in the crown area.rather depressing

to consider but one should have a plan for it.