Hair Cut before Hair Transplant ?? Pre Op Help

Yes. If you do not want to show your sutures or staples then keep hair longer. You can always trim it up after your procedure if it's longer then needed to cover the donor scar line.

In terms of the procedure it makes no difference how long the hair in the donor area is, because they will shave a strip, which they will then remove. Leaving your hair longer in the donor area will allow you to hide the sutures/staples easily. Since you've been told to shave the recipient area it seems you can get away with only shaving the forelock area (small patch in the front) and leave the rest alone.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Its kinda a catch 20...its so much cleaner if you just shave it all, however, then you are gonna obviously have a huge scar showing for quit sometime.. so what do you do, shave the top and leave the back,then you look like Bozo! lol

Im still deciding what Im gonna do! Ill probably shave down to about 1/2 inch in the donor area so I can have the best of both worlds!ha

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Hi I am after some information. Before H/T (FUT Method) I have been to shave the bald area (and remaining "patch" at the front) should i leave the donor area as long as possible??

Did the clinic tell you to shave the recipient area or did they merely say in general that the recipient area will be shaved? I asked because I know some clinics prefer to see the hair grown out a bit before they shave it to get a sense of how it grows, what type of hair it is, etc.

You might want to clear that up but just remember that you can always get your hair cut after the procedure just as easily as before.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi H & W, I was asked to shave myself or they would shave when I got there for an extra fee. I guess its just easier for us both if I do it, although its not expensive to get a quick shave.

Regards

Yeah I don't see charging extra for shaving the head..:mad:

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

charge you to shave?! that's nuts...Rahal's office was like a barber shop shaving everyone for free too lol. My advice looking back would be to shave it down to like a 1 or 2 before the procedure (however like Jotronic states make sure the dr. is ok with this) as it is sooo much easier to clean post HT...I also noticed it isn't as clean if you shave it after the procedure because you have to watch the scar area and can't get as clean of a shave...so doing it before hand makes everything perfectly even. The other side to that is if you have to go back to work right away it will obviously show...so you have to weigh everything out.