After HT care, help please

I did not put it in the title because it may be a little disgusting to discuss but the question is about scabs.

I had my HT twelve days ago, traveled a good ways away to my surgeon, my surgeon then set me up to have my stiches removed at 10 days by another HT surgeon near my home which I did have done.

I have received contradictory advice regarding scabs, one said to soak them in conditioner for 20 minutes in a shower but not to scrub them off but to let them fall off naturally.

The other told me to scrape them off in the shower, even suggesting to use the side of a comb to scrape the scabs with and even demonstrated the technique which kinda freaked me out since the original surgeon said not to do that and it kinda seems like common sense not to scrape at a scab.

I am at 12 days now an still have some scabs.

I am no expert, I have just received two different messages.....what do you make of this?

Hey OneHairLeft, hope your doing good with the healing process now. I'll share some info with you as I had scabs for a while after the surgery.

This is my actual hair restoration journal entry 15 days after surgery:

"Post Op 9/15/2011

Scabs still around, took a shower today but let the water hit the scabbed area hoping to loosen them up and let them fall. This is the first time I have done it this way after I was told to do so by patient care. I will do this probably until 9/17/2011. I will do this twice a day to loosen them up. Key is not to touch the recipient area yet and to let them fall on their own as I was told. After that, I will get contact patient care to get further instructions. Other then that, everything is looking good.

"

Now, I had scabs for quite a while, but on the 15th day of having them, I gently let some luke warm water absorb into them for a few minutes under the shower, then after that, my doctor's patient care told me to massage it gently. So, I started to very very gently massage them when they were well soaked and soft. It took 2 days after that I think for them to completely be gone. This is how I did it and I would do it the same way again if I had to. Some people have scabs that are gone soon, while some it may take longer, it just depends on how your body heals.

I personally was too scared to touch the area even though some people have told me that the grafts are seated in the scalp by the 7-8 day mark or so. I just wanted to play it very safe as well. To me, I was really scared to touch the scabs in fear of plucking the graft out.

I see a lot of questions about this on the forum. I would highly recommend that you follow the instructions that your surgeon gives you and if you have questions just call or email them. They are very happy to help.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1