(another) Am I going bald (thread)?

justsomeguy

Hello,

over the past months (?) I have had a feeling that my hair are thinning on my crown. I've always had thin hair and am not sure that my crown wasn't like that before (I am quite paranoid), but I need a second opinion (in my own, I think I am going bald). I am 20 years old, have a 7 years older brother that has pretty thick hair and is nowhere near baldness, my mom's dad is bald, and also my two uncles on my mom's side got bald in their twenties. My dad is not bald.

I took some photos of my crown, so the question is clear - am I going bald?

Thank you.

IMG_2155.jpg.b5a5a6a20e025c38e0e62694defd11e3.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg.b63b3af4f53317849c3d0b2058ff77e2.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg.698050cd9ab26c71c41677b6b9814839.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg.5698a858d0be64857ffe8ef8d498dc78.jpg

Your hair looks pretty good now but I think you maybe noticing the first visual signs of MPB. Get a consult with a hair doc and see if he recommends Propecia. I got on that drug at the age of 26 but should have at the age of 20. I would have a lot more hair now if I did.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Your hair looks pretty good now but I think you maybe noticing the first visual signs of MPB. Get a consult with a hair doc and see if he recommends Propecia. I got on that drug at the age of 26 but should have at the age of 20. I would have a lot more hair now if I did.

I got on propecia at the age of 20, got off around 25, and started back last year at 37..I wish I would have never gotten off, O well, hard lessen learned!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Second set of pics you look perfect,first pics harder to tell..go see a hair restoration doc not a regular doc to be sure,i dont think you are losing hair i think its the lenght of your hair keeping your crown well parted and the type of crown you have,this is just my opinion,here's what i went through..

Im 26 now my crown was thinning slightly at 20 so i used 5% rogaine foam and it has worked a treat ever since, IF you are thining in the crown i would try rogaine on its own first try to lay of the propecia unless rogaine doesnt work after 6-9 months and since the rest of you hair is good i presume their is really no need to jump onto propecia now if rogaine can do the job for even a few yrs its a few yrs you wont have to take proecia and thats a good thing,i started propecia this yr .5mg 3 times as a week as like an insurance policy for the rogaine because rogaine is not as strong as propecia even though roagine was/is still working for me 100%.

The fact is that I have always had pretty thin hair, but I am not sure how my crown was "before". It is possible that I have always had these patches that are seen on the first set of pictures, but mostly I think that they are there because I had unwashed hair, so the locks of hair were each facing their own way (I tried to pull them apart as much as I could, they don't naturally fall like that, of course). I don't have a receding hairline and neither is there any more hair loss than usual.

I don't like the sound of taking Propecia, especially because of some haunting side effects that occured with some of the users. I've also read a fair bit on Rogaine and it seems that it might be more suited for me (since it is supposed to work for the crown part of the head). I guess that I'll go see a dermatologist and decide upon his judgement. Thanks for the second opinions, and if there is someone else that wants to chip in I'll be really grateful.

Side effectss of propecia are very rare if you continue to lose hair in the future you will DEF have to take propecia,im not a fan of it thats why i put it off as long as i felt safe in doing so before roagaine started losing effectivness..

Where do you live,i would go see a hair restoration doc not a dermatologist.

I don't like the sound of taking Propecia, especially because of some haunting side effects that occured with some of the users. I've also read a fair bit on Rogaine and it seems that it might be more suited for me (since it is supposed to work for the crown part of the head). I guess that I'll go see a dermatologist and decide upon his judgement. Thanks for the second opinions, and if there is someone else that wants to chip in I'll be really grateful.

Personally, I had far more side effects with Rogaine than with Propecia. I had to stop the Rogaine Foam after a month because it really irritated my scalp - even made my ears chapped. It doesn't hurt to try either treatment. But if you are already psyched out about taking Propecia you're more likely to get the sides if you start - and it may not even be due to the medication.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Yeah, I did the foam because I heard it would be less irritating. However, my skin is far more sensitive than most.

• 4 months later...

You washed your hair and it does look better, but I do believe you are in the very beginning stages of Male Pattern Baldness. Propecia may do wonders at your age. I have zero side effects and I am on a whole lot more stuff.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

justsomeguy,

IMHO, it definitely appears that your crown is breaking up with miniturization which appears to me to be the beginning signs of MPB.

What does your frontal zone look like? Some guys start thinning in the crown only until it becomes very noticable or nearly bald before they do anything.

If you are diagnosed with MPB, you would "greatly" potentially benefit from both minoxidil and finasteride.

Your crown can potentially thicken up from these two proven hairloss meds.

See a reputable doctor first!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

But like I said, the doctor said that in his opinion there are no signs of MPB...

You might want to consider getting another opinion.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

What does your frontal zone look like? Some guys start thinning in the crown only until it becomes very noticable or nearly bald before they do anything.

My frontal zone doesn't show any signs of thinning/balding.

I'll just let it go and return to it if necessary. Comparing the photos from one year ago to now shows no difference, the doctor's opinion was ok... and my mom says taht I've always had my crown like that :,D! But seriously, I guess I'll revisit the issue if I notice I am getting worse. Thanks for all the advice.

Looking to family history is the best way to see if any of the men lose in the frontal area. What I do know is that none of us have enough donor supply to adequately cover the entire top of our scalps.

So even though the crown is losing, ask yourself which is the most important to you, "the crown or your hairline and frontal third" which is the highest visual impact area.

Many men end up choosing the frontal area if they had to choose one or the other.

Gillenator