Finasteride and acne?

lukeyb1687

Does anyone know if Finasteride can cause severe acne? My skin used to have 1 or 2 minor breakouts a week but now I'm having severe breakouts!

I've been on fin for the last 3 months and have noticed it steadily get worse each day. I'm currently taking a dosage of 5mg a day...although my hair is regrowing...I'm now scared I'll have horrible acne scars.

Has anyone else had this side effect?

P.s. I;m 24 years old

IMG_4981.jpg.47a16e8bcb69d18877cf0dd1be4372aa.jpg

IMG_4982.jpg.8556575a799e6a9ea2c87a72e8d1d0f7.jpg

12/2017 - 3500 Grafts- Dr. Emrah Cinik

Follow my progress:

lukeyb1687,

You are the only other person I've seen suspect finasteride as a cause for breakouts. I'm 43 years old and slightly over a year ago I began having severe acne after about 12 years of virtually no blemishes at all. At first I didn't suspect fin because I'd starting taking it about 18 months prior.

The breakouts began slowly but the blemishes were tenacious and did not go away quickly. When they did heal they often left me with dark spots.

I've been to my GP and two dermatologists and they offered little in the way of any valuable solution. I was given an anti-biotic that did little to help and asked about how much stress I was under. I asked both derms about it and both rejected the idea that finasteride was the culprit.

After months of frustration and watching my complexion become ravaged, I decided to quit finasteride since my wife and I were planning to start a family soon anyway and she wasn't pleased with the idea of continuing the drug anyway.

I can say that I've been off the drug for over a month now and I feel that my blemishes have become less frequent already although I still see a new one from time to time.

I had problems with my complexion in my teens and early twenties and I believe that finasteride may have thrown my hormones for a loop and reignited the condition.

I guess time will tell.

Good luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I had acne as a child and was proscribed 3 lots of anti biotics over different periods, which didn't work.

Finally, i got put on roaccutane(super stuff) at the age of 16 and never ever had a spot since.

I have been on finasteride since i was 20/21 and i am now 26.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Can be taken through tablet or applied to the skin.

I had bad acne from the age of 14 to 16 and adventually was proscribed it by my doctor when i was 16 from memory.

My younger brother has also been on it when he was younger.

I never had a spot again after using it for 4 to 6 months, but has to be proscribed as it is very strong and i had to have blood tests/monitored etc.

This was about ten years ago, so my memory is a bit faint.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my skin has started to clear up with a different skin regime...Yes to carrots is the cleanser and moisturizer I'm using along with tea tree oil and my skin has certainly become less red and I have suffered less breakouts..hopefully in the next few weeks eve rything will be cleared up.

On a hair note...I wil take pictures tonight, my left temple is really getting a lot of new growth and my right has some...no where near as much but it's working! Can't wait for a few more months when the hairs become thicker!

Edited by lukeyb1687
Not green tea- meant tea tree oil

Follow my progress:

Newhair- I really hope so too! The growth that I've experienced over the last few months has me so excited to see them get thicker! Fingers crossed I can get this skin issue taken care of. I do have an appointment with a dermatologist next week too, perhaps they can perscribe me something to take care of this with no side effects for hair loss lol!

Follow my progress:

When I started fin I had some breakouts also first 3 or 4 months I have been on fin for 2 years and havent had any problems since I thinks it just takes time for your body to get used to it good luck!

Interestingly, my breakouts did not even start until over a year after I began taking finasteride. For that reason, I didn't really make the connections for some time. However, now that I've been off of it for some time, I've noticed a dramatic reduction int he number of blemishes along with quicker healing.

Of course, I can't say for sure if fin was the cause but it sure seems like it.

Edited by TakingThePlunge

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Gasto- I decided that if it comes in 5mg form then it must be safe to take...I know a little naive but thought I would try it.

I;ve recently taken the dosage down to 2.5mg and I have noticed less breakouts...however I think I may go for the 1.25mg soon just to see if that helps!

Follow my progress:

Hey everyone!

I saw my dermatologist yesterday and he told me that Fin was not causing my Cycstic Break outs!

It will be from the biotin I am taking in my Mutli-vitamin it was too strong a dose for my body!

I have been giving some antibiotics, an acid face mask to apply at night to help reduce scarring and some spot serum to tackle the nasty red guys!

This makes me super happy about Fin- I have cut down the amount I've been taking. I was on 5 mg then went to 2.5mg but now I have reduced to 1.25mg a day...just to save on money etc....

Pics of my hairline to follow soon as I get my camera fixed!

Follow my progress:

• 3 months later...

After several months being off of FInasteride I have decided to retry it :) I came off of it because of the outbreak of cystic acne I thought was linked to it.

Will keep you all posted with some pictures and updates (hopefully onlt regarding hair, and no outbreaks!!)

Follow my progress:

You are not alone dude. I got acne breakouts on and off for the first 3 months on fin, they cooled down a bit, and came up after that. Now I'm on the 6th month, they seem to have gone, yet occaisionally I see some red inflamed spots on my skin.

There are mayn who've experienced acne on fin. Supposedly its not supposed to happen. Who knows.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...