Concerned about Permanent Sexual Side Effects from Propecia? Read this Recent Study

Blake Bloxham

Recently, a group of researchers at the School of Medicine - Kitasato University in Tokyo, Japan conducted a study on the efficacy and safety of Propecia (finasteride) for treating hair loss in Japanese men.

The study, which was the largest Propecia-based research project since the original FDA trials in 1997, looked at over 3,177 patients and evaluated both hair growth (efficacy) and incidence of adverse side effects (mainly sexual side effects, including decreased libido and erectile dysfunction) in the balding men.

To further review the study and read the exciting results, please see the original article at our Hair Loss Q & A Blog: Japanese Study Finds Propecia (Finasteride) Safe and Effective for Treating Male Hair Loss.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Guys,

All science is up for debate; this is why clinical research exists. However, the group in the Japanese study evaluated over 3,000 individuals for 3+ years and saw a 0.7% rate of long-term sexual dysfunction. That is the objective data presented. If you feel it's not accurate, then I highly recommend offering some comparable level of proof.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Guys,

All science is up for debate; this is why clinical research exists. However, the group in the Japanese study evaluated over 3,000 individuals for 3+ years and saw a 0.7% rate of long-term sexual dysfunction. That is the objective data presented. If you feel it's not accurate, then I highly recommend offering some comparable level of proof.

Hi,

What would you mean by long term sexual dysfunction? Forever is it? Btw what does it say about medium term say 5 to 7 years? Surely there must be some sexual dysfunction for at least the short to medium term. Any studies to this effect?

Warm Regards,

DS

I really think fin side effects are hard to judge for 3 reason.

1. There is a very big stigma that fin causes sexual side effects. The interent has a lot to do with this. People that do not have side effects usually do not start up websites about not having side effects.

2. I believe hair loss alone can cause sexual side effects just from the stress and blow to confidence.

3. Age. ED is a normal part of life. Many many men who are not on any medication go through this. ED often begins in middle aged men. The same men who happen to be blading, and therefore may try fin. Howmany men would be experiencing sexual side effects anyway? I would expect more that .7%, with or without fin.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I read about this a few weeks back, and it definitely was a nice tip of the propecia hat, as I'd just started, or was about to start taking the drug.

I'm currently on my 4th week, building up to my 1mg daily dosage, but I can say I have so far no noticed side effects, sexual or otherwise.

There are many things that can cause impotency, amongst other sexual problems. Just because the individual is on propecia does not mean it is the sole cause of the problem, if at all.