Am I just being paranoid?

Hi guys, I have always had really thick hair I don't really have a receding hairline at all, but I did notice the other day this weird open area near my scalp. I'm 26 years old. I believe it is a cowlick, but I'm not 100% sure. My hair stylist said that it was, but I'm still nervous. I took a picture where I parted it to maximize the open area. Does anybody think that it's potential baldness or just a cowlick? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hair.jpg.3f2cd094684088740927d6b07677295e.jpg

Looks like a crown, keep an eye on it, take pics every six months, if loss becomes apparent consider starting finasteride.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Unfortunately, the value of hairstylists' opinions on matters of hairloss is pretty much value-less. Sure, they'll tell you what you want to hear and attribute it to a cowlick, or even a double cowlick. but the simple fact is they don't know.

This could very well be the early stages of hair loss. The fact that you suddenly noticed a difference suggests that something is going on.

Looks like a crown, keep an eye on it, take pics every six months, if loss becomes apparent consider starting finasteride.

bad advice

the best choice for hair loss in that area would be rogaine

that's where it's proven to work best and the chance of sides are minimal

I actually think that the reason for the lost hair in that region is because I drastically cut the amount of times I shampooed my hair to once every 10 days or so. And that part of my scalp would get itchy and I would scratch it a lot and I noticed a lot of lost hair as I would scratch. Once I noticed the thinning, I started shampooing consistently again (Nioxin) and now that thinness has disappeared just after a few days and my hair looks and feels completely full. I will continue to monitor it on a month to month basis.

You should just go get a free consultation from a local reputable HT doctor. The appointment shouldn't take long. They'll be able to tell you if the hairs in the area are becoming miniaturized or not.

Just call up their office and ask if the initial consultation is free. The majority of reputable surgeons offer free consultations with no obligations.

If they tell you it's being miniaturized, then by taking early action you should have very good results. If they tell you it's nothing all the better.