Rogane, how long/side effects?

snydez99

I'm thinking of using Rogane to help with vertex baldness & stop hair loss.

How long should I give it? Six months? Are there any side effects? FYI, Men's

Journal had an article about Propecia & impotence! Also, if a person stops

Rogane will hair be worse?

Snydez,

Most experts recommend utilizing preventive hair loss medications (like Rogaine and Propecia) for 6-12 months before judging the efficacy of the treatments. Many believe that 6 months is sufficient, but waiting the full 12 months could be useful if you're uncertain or want to "play it safe."

The sexual side effects associated with Propecia can include temporary impotence issues, but, according to the official reports, reverse when stopping the medication and only occur in 2 % of users.

Rogaine (minoxidil) side effects include:

"burning or irritation of the eye, itching, redness or irritation at the treated area, as well as unwanted hair growth elsewhere on the body; severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; dizziness; fainting; fast heartbeat; sudden, unexplained weight gain; swollen hands or feet; side effects of oral minoxidil may include swelling of the face and extremities, rapid and irregular heartbeat."

(* I compiled this list from several web sources)

From my experience with the discussion forums, it seems like most individuals tolerate Rogaine/minoxidil quite well and the most common side effects are some swelling and unexpected hair growth.

Finally, stopping stabilizing hair loss medications like Propecia and Rogaine will result in both progression of the previous loss and a shed of all hair regrown during the course of the medication.

I hope this helps! Good luck.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I have heard of bizarre side effects that seem to have a fairly large presence on the internet. According to some, people have experienced pore enlargement, bags under the eyes, and over all facial aging. This scares me, as I have been using minoxidil for two months now. I did not know about these claims before i started.

Does anybody have any insight into these claims?

No Minoxidil sideffects to me, although I've lately experienced like perks in my head, which is not something I'd describe as pain but really worries me. I will consult my doctor for that issue, as it might be a cod oil supplement(although it is far bellow the recommended daily dose: 0.5 grams everyday) or propecia(finasteride 0.25 mg ever 3 days)

I have heard of bizarre side effects that seem to have a fairly large presence on the internet. According to some, people have experienced pore enlargement, bags under the eyes, and over all facial aging. This scares me, as I have been using minoxidil for two months now. I did not know about these claims before i started.

Does anybody have any insight into these claims?

I wouldn't worry too much. I too have heard some of these claims anecdotally across the net but there is no real evidence to support them and the drug has been fully tested and deemed very safe. It's usually one of those situations when people start stressing and worrying and then begin chalking up every little problem and pain and change to the drug(s) they are taking.

Stress and anxiety about minoxidil is much more likely to age your face than the drug is I would imagine! Of course, if you do see any changes or problems you feel you should get checked out, see a doctor. But the drug is very safe and the overwhelming majority of people seem to take it just fine with no observable side effects.

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen, with respect to problems of 'impotence' through use of Minoxidil, please consider the following which I posted on another forum... THE COMPANY 'PFIZER' OWN/MAKE ROGANE, 'PFIZER' MAKE VIAGARA, YOU ARE ALL HAVING ISSUES WITH ‘ed’. THESE PRODUCTS ARE DESIGNED TO WORK ON THE SHAME OR EMASCULATION WE FEEL WHEN NOT LIVING UP TO BEING A ‘MAN’. SO, VIAGARA SALES GO UP WHEN THE OLD CHAP STAYS DOWN, NOT MANY MEN WILL TALK OF USING HAIR ‘RESTORER’, SO WE THEN CANT TALK ABOUT THE SEXUAL ‘IMPOTENCE’ THAT MAY COME FROM USING SAID HAIR PRODUCT, SO WE GO BUY A WONDER PILL FROM SAME SAID COMPANY… COINCIDENCE?… GENIUS ISN’T IT? HOW WE PLAY THE SHAME GAME… IT IS SIMPLY LOGIC, MATHS & PFIZERS ECONOMIC GAIN… BE HAPPY IN YOURSELVES GENTS, THE WORLD HAS MANY PROBLEMS, DON’T BUY INTO THE LITTLE ONES THROUGH BEING MADE BY MEDIA TO FEEL ‘LESS THAN A MAN’, STAND TALL WITH YOUR BALLS HELD PROUDLY IN BOTH HANDS!