Shedding on Finasteride

fakeplstctrees

• 2 weeks later...
Gillenator..

Taking propecia is for life? if I stop taking propecia will the regrown hair be lost? Thx

According to Merck's official website, if you stop taking propecia, you'll lose the regrown hair as well as the hair you saved within a year of stopping.

Regimen:

Finasteride (1.25mg): Daily.

Minoxidil (5%): Twice Daily.

Super Biotin (5000mcg) Vitamin Supplement; Daily

Silica Complex; Daily

I have maybe missed around a total of 3 days over the course of the 8 months of use.

I have just started biotin, so the effects are hard to gauge at this stage.

I thought about taking saw palmetto, but figured whats the point if I am currently using a clinically successful anti-androgen like finasteride?

Regimen:

Finasteride (1.25mg): Daily.

Minoxidil (5%): Twice Daily.

Super Biotin (5000mcg) Vitamin Supplement; Daily

Silica Complex; Daily

• 2 weeks later...
Gillenator..

Taking propecia is for life? if I stop taking propecia will the regrown hair be lost? Thx

Yes for life or however long you want to keep your native hair. It's because MPB is a progressive disorder and as long as we continue to manufacture testosterone, DHT will continue to negatively impact the hair follicles.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I agree Calgacus and as long as finasteride is working efficiently for you then saw palmetto would not be necessary.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 2 months later...
I am seeing a lot of shedding one month after starting Propecia/Finasteride, both on scalp and in the donor area. And yes, the hairs seem to be thin. Is that a good sign? It kind of freaked me out.

The "initial use" of finasteride and/or minoxidil can induce a shed cycle. And yes it can tend to freak one out but it is not necessarily a bad sign.

When thinning and even shedding cycles begin after the initial use can imply that you are responding to the active ingredients.

Only prolonged use will confirm as to whether or not the meds are working efficiently for you. The shedding will eventually cease and then things should begin stabilizing the progression of future loss.

This can take up to one full year to materialize.

Gillenator

• 1 month later...

Thanks Gillenator! In the meantime I reduced Fin to 1 mg every two days for about two weeks, and then I'm back on regular 1 mg a day since about two weeks ago, and the side effects seem to have receded. Today is exactly 3 months since I started it.

I see about 10 miniaturized hairs shedding almost every day when I comb my hair (have I mentioned that I have something to comb now? :) ) and hope it is a good sign. Maybe I am making things up but I do already notice an improvement, especially in my crown.

Thanks Gillenator! In the meantime I reduced Fin to 1 mg every two days for about two weeks, and then I'm back on regular 1 mg a day since about two weeks ago, and the side effects seem to have receded. Today is exactly 3 months since I started it.

I see about 10 miniaturized hairs shedding almost every day when I comb my hair (have I mentioned that I have something to comb now? :) ) and hope it is a good sign. Maybe I am making things up but I do already notice an improvement, especially in my crown.

keep us updated

So happy to hear the good news my friend...;)

Gillenator

No it has not been substantiated in a clinical setting because it is a herbal supplement and not under the scrutiny/regulation of the FDA.

Propecia (finasteride) on the other hand is a drug and subject to clinical trial and verification before the FDA will allow the drug on the open market.

Yet some guys claim efficiency with it although very few in number as compared to Propecia which does have clinical verification.

If saw palmetto does work for you, then IMHO a natural approach is better and less toxic for you.

Gillenator

• 2 years later...