Testosterone enhancers or herbs that could cause hair loss?

Herakles

Hi,

I'm curious to know if testosterone enhancing herbs like tongkat ali and tribulus could contribute to hair loss, for those who have MPB which in turn means they already have high testosterone. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Also any other herbs, food and vitamins that could possibly contribute to hair loss?

Thank you.

I'd use those with caution. They do increase testosterone. Not to an extent steroids would, but they do. I've read ton of articles about them. Remember EAS Andro 6? They even have warnings not to use it under age 26.

Some companies versions might be snake oil, but if your using major brands that are tested, then definitely use caution. You don't want to activate something that will make you shed more hair or rather speed up the process.

I'd use those with caution. They do increase testosterone. Not to an extent steroids would, but they do. I've read ton of articles about them. Remember EAS Andro 6? They even have warnings not to use it under age 26.

Some companies versions might be snake oil, but if your using major brands that are tested, then definitely use caution. You don't want to activate something that will make you shed more hair or rather speed up the process.

Yes, but Andro 6 is a Pro Hormone, which is a precursor to steroids. They will increase Testosterone, and the androgenic effects associated with them.

Tribulus isnt in that group its just a herb that does absolutely nothing. Ive seen evidence that Tribulus can actually inhibit natural test production.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=10024&WebID=2832

October 2011 - 1647 FUT - Dr Dorin

January 2014 - 1580 FUT - Dr Dorin

Yes, but Andro 6 is a Pro Hormone, which is a precursor to steroids. They will increase Testosterone, and the androgenic effects associated with them.

Tribulus isnt in that group its just a herb that does absolutely nothing. Ive seen evidence that Tribulus can actually inhibit natural test production.

You could be right. I am 50/50 on it. I don't know if there are any studies that were done to find out if it does or doesn't.

I did come across this link with people talking about it.

Hair Loss Help Forums - Tribulus Terrestris? can it cause a temporary raise in DHT-Testosterone to cause rapid miniaturizationt/thining?

• 2 months later...
Hi,

I'm curious to know if testosterone enhancing herbs like tongkat ali and tribulus could contribute to hair loss, for those who have MPB which in turn means they already have high testosterone. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Also any other herbs, food and vitamins that could possibly contribute to hair loss?

Thank you.

I was using tongkat ali years before it became well known in the west. I used to drink it as a tea back than. I didnt experience any hairloss. Tribullus is again a mild test booster I havent taken it myself but know others who do. No problems ive seen in them (we're talking 4 blokes).....the big bitch u want to avoid is stanozolol/winstrol which is a common oral steroid people get started on.....I took a diff steroidfor a year which was the mildest anabolic steroid and had no bad effects. The first time i took stanaozolol/winstrol even tho it was only a puny 10mg.....by the first three weeks a terrible terrible thinness had overcome my hair....especially in the crown (first time ever i had problems there) and a diffuse thinning on top which became brutally apparent the day i went for a haircut. Once it was cut, I saw how much thinner it was.......DONT EVER TOUCH STANOZOLOL/WINSTROL....sure many young blokes take it and get nothng but there is not a bloke over 30 i know who hasnt got MPB who has taken it.Its the absolute worst drug for hairloss and one of the cheapest.

• 3 weeks later...

Tribulus is an interesting case, because many men swear by it being useful for better athletic performance, better bedroom performance, and more muscle strength - you can check that out by looking through all of the reviews at iherb.com. This positive effect seems to be backed up by animal studies - for example one from the National University of Singapore showed that both T and DHT increased in primates, DHT increased in rabbits, and T increased in rats with usage of Tribulus extract. That study is at The hormonal effects of Tribulus terrestris an... [Phytomedicine. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

However, when they study humans, for some reason the effects don't seem to play out. In a study from the University of Nebraska on resistance-trained men, there was no positive effect on strength or body composition - The effects of Tribulus terrest... [int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI and a Bulgarian study on young men found no effect on hormone levels - The aphrodisiac herb Tribulus terrestris do... [J Ethnopharmacol. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI.

All this being said, I personally tried tribulus and definitely noticed fuller seeming muscles and drier hair that fell out faster in subsequent days. If testosterone is not directly effected in humans, as the studies are saying, there must be another avenue in which it is altering the hormonal cascade, based on my experience and all of those people reviewing at iherb.com and elsewhere.

David Rodgers, MS Nutrition

Nutritionist, Hair Loss Author

• 2 months later...