H&W question

Severn

I've been curious about this. I've seen several clinics mention how hard it is to get follow up pics after the initial surgeries(which I can understand). But looking at the Hasson and Wong site, they have a massive number of follow-up pics and close up videos of their work.

Is this because they just have a much larger volume of patients and the guys we are seeing are there for additional work? Or are they paying for these guys to come back for demonstrations? Both?

I am not saying anything positive or negative about it, I just don't understand why there is such a huge descrepency of available photos and videos between H&W and the rest.

I've been curious about this. I've seen several clinics mention how hard it is to get follow up pics after the initial surgeries(which I can understand). But looking at the Hasson and Wong site, they have a massive number of follow-up pics and close up videos of their work.

Is this because they just have a much larger volume of patients and the guys we are seeing are there for additional work? Or are they paying for these guys to come back for demonstrations? Both?

I am not saying anything positive or negative about it, I just don't understand why there is such a huge descrepency of available photos and videos between H&W and the rest.

Originally posted by Severn:

Neither (although they do have lots of patients). It's because they (1) are honest and ethical in posting candid pics, for good or for bad, and (2) they typically do excellent work, so they are not ashamed to show candid pics.

The correct question should be: Why isn't every single doctor posting honest, up-close, clear pics and video? Well . . .

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

Neither (although they do have lots of patients). It's because they (1) are honest and ethical in posting candid pics, for good or for bad, and (2) they typically do excellent work, so they are not ashamed to show candid pics.

The correct question should be: Why isn't every single doctor posting honest, up-close, clear pics and video? Well . . .

That seems to imply that the other top docs can't produce as good a quality work as H&W so they don't do closeup videos. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Even the most critical of posts don't show a huge difference in opinions on the quality of work between H&W, SMG, Rahal, Feller, etc. They are considered the elite of the industry. The only things I've seen that show a difference discussed here is that H&W have more staff and can handle the large megasessions. Wong is known more for crowns. Ron seems to have the edge in hairlines. But nothing I've read about all these top docs suggests that ones work is greatly superior to another (in the top 5). That's why I was wondering why there were so many more after shots with H&W.

Hi Severn,

Since I work at only one clinic, I can only speak as to why SMG do not have a lot more results on our website. Number one reason is that our website is over 10 years old and it's been a loooooooong, tough, beyond frustrating road to get a new site up. We have tons of after pics with very happy patients that will be on the new website. With the new site, we are able to add new photos and videos as we go so we will never have to contend with an out of date site again.

I would think H&W produce more patient results than SMG since we do one surgery a day (except one day a week where Dr. Ron & Dr. Paul each perform surgery) so that's approx 6 surgeries a week for us compared to 2 each per day for each doc at H&W. At least that was what I heard - I could be wrong on their number of surgeries.

Thanks Janna! I'll be looking forward to seeing SMG's new site. My procedure is set with you guys October 12th Monday morning. I'm sure Matt and Ron will be happy to get me out of the way as I've pestered them with an insane amount of questions (all of which they have been happy to answer) icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Janna:

Hi Severn,

Number one reason is that our website is over 10 years old and it's been a loooooooong, tough, beyond frustrating road to get a new site up.

icon_wink.gif

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Jana,

We do not perform two surgeries per day per doctor. Two surgeries per day per doctor may happen a couple of times per week at most. Because most of our sessions are in the 4000 graft plus range we would be overtaxing the staff to add second surgeries on top of that on a regular basis. In a five day work week each doc might perform 7 surgeries both large and small.

Severn,

I cannot speak about other clinics but our philosophy regarding our photos and videos has been simple.

"Get the work out there."

In other words, if we have an opportunity to show our results then we do it, be it through photos, video or both, and we wish to do so with as much detail as possible. We now have over 100 patients in our photo results section. This has been a rebuild of sorts as our goal over the past several years has been to show only photos where there is no flash photography or studio lighting. This distorts the image away from reality and makes hairlines look twice as thick. We feel this is misleading. Our photos are clear enough to show the individual hairs exiting scalp at the actual exit point in the tissue. You may see some hairs in most other clinical photos but you cannot see the actual exit point from the scalp. We feel this is important for you to see.

Our videos are something we are very proud of as we worked quite hard to find a good balance between file size and highly detailed quality. To date we are the only clinic worldwide (to our knowledge) to have a video gallery of before/after results shown in HD showing the level of detail that we do and we've been building up our library for about two years now. We have 58 videos in our patient results video gallery, of which a few are not HD. These local patients are coming in over the next couple of weeks to allow us to re-shoot their videos in HD so we have an all HD patient video gallery. We also have 12 testimonial videos, a series of four videos showing a procedure from beginning to end, and nine other various videos showing scalp exercises, donor closures, staple removal instructions as well as a few CBC television spots that were shot in our clinic. Our before/after video gallery is growing weekly as we have been more pro-active in asking patients to come in for documentation and for some reason, knock on wood, more have been open to allowing themselves to be filmed.

When you consider that most of our patients, roughly 75%, come from outside of Canada then it is pretty astounding that we have had the good fortune of having so many results to share. A few are of patients that have come back for a second session from Europe or wherever but most are local patients or former patients that have found their way back to Vancouver for vacation, business or whatever.

When you consider that we also have at least 100 plus patients that have shared their experiences on their own over the years I would be confident in saying we are the most documented and exposed clinic on the planet, hands down.

When HD video cameras are so cheap nowadays it really is something that other clinics should look into. The following camera from JVC for example is only 379.00.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ol...p=1&_requestid=69661

This is a quarter of the price that we paid for ours two years ago. Decent editing software like Adobe Premiere is only 139.00. For about 500.00 one can have all they need to produce solid HD video of results. Hosting can be as easy as uploading to Youtube as they offer plenty of space to store HD video now and best of all it is free.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for the clarification on the number of surgeries you do. As a mere technician, I can appreciate not being "over taxed" icon_wink.gif.

Severn,

We look forward to seeing you soon.

B-spot, I know you feel my pain. icon_smile.gif

My 3rd girlfriend's invitro-born sister babysat for kids who went to the same school as the niece of an ex-H+W tech who blabbed about techs soaking the grafts in Holy Water to maximize yield and get a yearly bonus of an Arctic expedition. Surely, this is true. icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gif

IMO, you can easily see so many H+W results because they (H+W) prioritize putting them out there for you (anyone) to see. Even if H+W did many more cases than any other clinic, and even if H+W inexplicably had many more patients come back for follow-ups....clinics have been performing hundreds of cases a year for many years, and most certainly *do* have the documentation at their disposal. How each clinic goes about dispersing their results is the distinction, and it varies from doc to doc.

*e.g., i could list dozens of clinics on this site alone who I'd bet my bankroll could post a fresh case a day for months on end....they simply don't...why they don't while a select few do (and I would certainly include SMG as a clinic who takes an upper-tier approach in showing off their work) is another question.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Members,

Since "RayRay" is actually a previously suspended member who apparently can't leave well enough alone, his new alias has been re-suspended and his IP address blocked. Frankly, it was this type of endless baiting and unsubstantiated accusations that led to his suspension in the first place.

Knowing who the previous member was quite well, the majority of the information he's presented here is bogus, including the accusation that Hasson and Wong give bonuses to technicians for cutting the most grafts.

Thus, I'm removing all of his posts and hope that he honors our original decision to suspend him. Additionally, in order for this thread to make sense, I'm removing all posts from member engaging him.

Bill

Jotronic

I love the before and after phots from the H&W site.

A couple of questions

1) What percentage of the H&W patients that are asked actually say yes to their photos being placed on the web ?

2) Do you guys offer them a discounted future procedure as a means to make more people agree to this?

I like many others that have posted are amazed by the huge number of before and after patients on your site. Way more than any other world wide.

I would guess that most patients would not want their face visible on the net for the whole world to see that they have had a hair transplant unless they were given something in return? (You may prove me wrong)