Where should I go for a hair transplant?

stevieg

Hi,

I'm seriously considering going for hair transplant surgery. I could really do with some advice on where to go. Should I choose to go ahead with this, I simply want to find the best. Therefore, I don't mind paying top prices or even having to fly to far and away places. I just want the result to be a good one.

My situation is that I have a very obvious bald patch in the crown area. This has been slowy getting worse over the last 10 years.

From reading some reviews on this site, I have come up with the following surgeons:

Dr. Feller - USA

Dr. Bisanga, Dr Bijan Feriduni & Dr. Patrick Mwamba - Europe

Dr. Farjo - UK

Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich - Thailand

I'm currently based in Helsinki Finland. Baring in mind my location and that results are more important than cost, which surgeon should I go for? For example, is it worth going to Thailand if Dr. Farjo is every bit as good as Dr. Damkerng?

Are there any other surgeons which I should consider who I didn't include on my list?

Since I'm in Helsinki, I have a consultation appointment soon with Dr. Nordstrom (The Nordstr?m Hospital for Aesthetic and Plastic Surgery) since it's convenient. I have heard nothing of this clinic on this site, does this mean it's no good? Can anyone share any experiences from there?

Thanks in advance!

Stevieg

I would suggest that you consider a Doctor that is very open with showing lots and lots of clear, close before, and after photos, INCLUDING immediate post-op and strip areas, or FUE areas, and a doc that will put you in touch with several former patients that can send photos. Also consider asking to see VIDEO results of work. Pictures can be more deceiving than a quality video showing all angles of the head and running a comb through hair to see what it really looks like. The more open a doctor is to showing their work, the more my confidence builds in them. Hasson and Wong is a good example of quality photos in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

StevieG,

Are you a Liverpool fan by any chance?

Ok, business.

Regarding your short list above, I would defintely add to it...

I am not particularly clued up with crown work since my hairloss is confined to the hairline at present. However, during my research I have seen some excellent crown work. As such I would definitely add SMG and Hasson and Wong to your list.

It would be handy to know which technique you are decided on, FUT or FUE as this may (and perhaps should) effect your choice in surgeon given that some Docs either don't perform both or excell in a particular technique. For instance, although very competent at both, Dr Bisanga is considered one of, if not the top (IMO), FUE Doc in Europe.

FUT widens the pool of choice. One thing that you need to be very comfortable on, in addition to the skill of the surgeon, is their aftercare service. In simple terms, if the HT doesn't work out for you , Helsinki is a hell of a lot further away from the US in comparison to Europe. This is where location does play a vital part of the decision making aspect Stevie.

If you do Opt for overseas, which is advisable in order to go to the best, make sure you are comfortable with the Doc's reputation in relation to aftercare. How will they remedy the situation if things don't work out? These are things you need to be asking and researching alongside results, pics and patient experiences. By digging out poor experiences, as well as the many positive ones, will help you arrive at a more informed decision.

A good tip would be to go beyond the forums and use your search engine.

Based on my experience, as an overseas patient, I could not and will not recomend Dr Feller based on my result and aftercare issues, although he is very popular on this forum and has produced good solid work.

I could not comment on Dr Mwamba as I have no little knowledge of his work.

Dr Bessam Farjo is the best choice in the UK but IMO he is not your 'best' choice.

Dr Bisanga, from your list, is in my opinion the best choice for you. I recently had a consultation with Dr Bisanga and it was excellent.

Posting pics though would attract more forum support.

Best of luck

Jessie

I'd hone in on the USA or Canada, the North American docs are the best in my opinion. Then examine the top five in those two countries.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Yes, I agree to that, the best HT doctors are from North America. Well from your list, I would say

1) Dr. Bisanga

2) Dr. Feller

3) Dr. Feriduni

Thats if you want FUE, however if you want strip then all of the ones you mentioned are great but Dr. Bisanga has more results posted and very great feedbacks.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Its so easy to take opinion from people that read forums but have never met the patients. You need to talk to patients that have been to these doctors and to get a real honest opinion. Everybody has there preferences because of what they read or photos. I have only met one patients from the list you have mentioned. Dr. Fellers work looked amazing and very natural.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson