Losing hair after transplant

Hi all,

I had my first HT done my Dr.Madhu, Hyderabad, India in Dec 2009 which turned out pretty well after 18 months but last couple of months I have lost quite a lot of hair which brings me almost back to where started in Dec 2009. I am not sure what went wrong. I am on Tugain 5% and Finpecia 1 mg daily since HT.

Has anybody else experienced such thing or this is just a normal cycle and those hair will grow back again.

And one more thing is it OK to go for temporary solutions such as weaving to cover up the losses as I am getting married soon I don't have much time for 2nd HT.

Rgrds

Rocker.

rocker,

I'm sorry to hear about your progressive balding. It certainly sounds as if you are taking all the necessary steps to medically stabilize your hair loss.

Some things to consider are:

1. Be sure that you are purchasing your finasteride and minoxidil from a reputable source.

2. Some guys simply do not respond to these drugs.

3. There could be factors other than male pattern balding at play. You may want to consult with a dermatologist to rule out other conditions.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

yes definitely some of them ....but i hoping they will grow back....that is why i asked before that may be its a normal cycle ....as all transplanted hair had grown at about same time so probably they have fallen at more or less same time and they will grow back.

Rocker,

U might receive some medical advice from a doctor if they notice this thread. I have read a post by a top clinic awhile back that their patient had a similar problem, but i dont want to post the link...Have u contacted your ht doctor about your problem?

David..., how did u not understand the question rocker asked? Not one part of his question said that he was "progressive balding" and right away u assume this?

I love this site!!

rocker,

If you truly feel that you've lost the bulk of you transplanted hair and have not lost preexisting, native hair then I strongly advise you to consult with Dr. Madhu. While it happens from time to time that a hair transplant results in poor yield (as with my first procedure) it's extremely rare that transplanted hair will grow in only to fall out later. There are a number of non-genetic factors that can cause hair loss including illness and medication.

Mp96,

I did not misunderstand rocker's post. What he said was "last couple of months I have lost quite a lot of hair". While it's quite rare to lose transplanted hair, it's quite common to continue losing native or non-transplanted hair. Some patients are not properly informed or choose to ignore this basic fact and erroneously assume that it is the transplanted hair they have lost. Based on the limited information in rocker's post my response was perfectly legitimate and open for anyone with other insights such as yourself to add their own ideas. There is simply no substitute for consulting with your own surgeon and perhaps a dermatologist if necessary in such a case.

Furthermore, I don't appreciate your unnecessarily critical and demeaning response to my comments. If you have a problem with me or this site then no one is forcing you to remain a part of if. I don't recall ever having attacked you or anyone else here for sharing their ideas and opinions. Adding you own constructive input is helpful and appreciated. Leave the attitude at home.

Best,

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

Takingtheplunge,

You are only using quotation marks for a small section of the sentence in rocker's post. What he said was, "my first HT done my Dr.Madhu, Hyderabad, India in Dec 2009 which turned out pretty well after 18 months but last couple of months I have lost quite a lot of hair which brings me almost back to where started in Dec 2009."

I really do have a tough time understanding where u could get "progressive balding" from that statement.

Furthermore, you had absolutely no intentions to even clarifying on asking him before drawing your own conclusions...

Anyhow, i am glad i did come forward because if i didnt he would of been mislead thinking that he was "progressive balding" as u mentioned.

I do agree with you that it is uncommon to lose transplanted hair, but it is possible...

Oh about the "attitude" part...Maybe try reading posts more clearer or even possibly ask questions if u dont understand instead of drawing conclusions which are based on a few words out of a entire sentence.

As proven here, rocker does feel he is losing transplanted hair and not "progressive balding" as u mentioned.

Sure glad i did come forward!!

MP96,

While David may have incorrectly assumed the original poster was referring to progressive balding, your attitude and baseless attacks are unwarranted. Thus, if you would like to continue your membership here, I expect your posts to be more constructive and respectful towards our members and moderators.

Your cooperation is appreciated and expected.

Best Regards,

Bill

Frankly, I agree completely with David's (TakingThePlunge) assessment and recommend the same course of action.

Good luck Rocker! Please, feel free to ask any additional questions and let us know if we can offer any further assistance.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

It has been hypothesized that transplanted hairs can look most full and dense within the first 12-18 months of the procedure. The theory is that hairs generally begin to grow at the same time but later revert back to their own individual telogen cycles resulting in a thinner appearance. It's just a theory but a logical one. I have no idea if this is what you are experiencing.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

rocker,

I'm sorry that the discussion over your concerns was derailed and I apologize for overlooking the your second question regarding weaving.

I am personally not a fan of weaving over the long-term as it can result in traction alopecia. As a short-term solution I don't believe it would damage your hair.

Please keep let us know Dr. Madhu's thoughts on your situation.

It has been hypothesized that transplanted hairs can look most full and dense within the first 12-18 months of the procedure. The theory is that hairs generally begin to grow at the same time but later revert back to their own individual telogen cycles resulting in a thinner appearance. It's just a theory but a logical one. I have no idea if this is what you are experiencing.

What would cause the transplanted hairs to enter a prolonged telogen cycle? Do you think the DHT resistance from the universal donor region isn't enough to prevent these hairs from thinning and becoming susceptible to future loss?

Frankly, I've never heard this theory before and I personally believe there are thousands of examples of hair transplant results at 2,5, 10 (etc) year mark that really discredit this particular theory.

However, I'm interested. Do you have any articles or studies that support the theory?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

What would cause the transplanted hairs to enter a prolonged telogen cycle? Do you think the DHT resistance from the universal donor region isn't enough to prevent these hairs from thinning and becoming susceptible to future loss?

Frankly, I've never heard this theory before and I personally believe there are thousands of examples of hair transplant results at 2,5, 10 (etc) year mark that really discredit this particular theory.

However, I'm interested. Do you have any articles or studies that support the theory?

Yeah, its definitely a fringe theory - I have not seen any documentation or studies on it. I believe I came across it on these forums actually a few years back. It's not actual thinning per se - DHT resistant hairs still go through the normal growth-shed-regrowth stages. So I guess the theory is that once the hairs are transplanted they shed and all grow back roughly within the same time frame giving the hair its fullest appearance. But once they grow back they eventually return to their own growth-shed-regrowth phases thus making the hair appear less full at certain times. This wouldn't be considered hair loss in the MPB sense - just implies that there might be an inflated result at a certain point before the transplanted hair return to their own respective telogen phases. Maybe this is all just a really complicated explanation for a shed.

Edited by aaron1234

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group