Hair transplant on palm

Last week I visited HT surgeoun and among many other questions I asked the doctor:

How do they know there was a hair earlier (at recepient area) where they transplant new graft?

The doctor replied, it does't matter if the incison at recepient area had a hair graft earlier before hair loss started because its the donor information that is crucial for the transplanted hair to grow. As an exmaple he said,..if he takes a hair from the safe zone of the back of the head and transplant it on palm of hand or nose,...it would also grow, even though those areas never had hair.

How true is this?

Edited by saska1209

Yes, that is true. There have even been reports of men undergoing scalp to pubic area transplants. Why for the life of me I do not know!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

You can insert a graft anywhere on the body and it will grow just the same as if it were on the scalp. All the graft is looking for is a blood supply.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Yes, that is true. There have even been reports of men undergoing scalp to pubic area transplants. Why for the life of me I do not know!

What a waste of good donor hair...ha!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I'm guessing you must have assumed that transplanted grafts had to be inserted into the 'empty' follicles where hair once grew. The doctor is actually transplanting the entire follicle which includes everything the hair needs to continue growing.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I'm guessing you must have assumed that transplanted grafts had to be inserted into the 'empty' follicles where hair once grew. The doctor is actually transplanting the entire follicle which includes everything the hair needs to continue growing.

Do you mean it won't grow if the transplanted follicle is inserted into recipient area where there wasn't any hair before?

Do you mean it won't grow if the transplanted follicle is inserted into recipient area where there wasn't any hair before?

No, it doesn't matter what was there before. The doctor transplants every necessary part of the hair follicle.

Thanks mattj for clarification.

Now that FU taken from donor area has all the genetic information to grow when transplanted anywhere on the body,...then it makes me wonder:

Why in most (or perhaps all) of the cases the yield of transplanted hair is not 100%? Especially in FUE case the yield is even lower.

I would appreciate if some of the HT physicians on this forum contribute to this topic.

Thanks.

Until a physician replies or in case they don't, I'll say something.

A lot of hair transplant surgeons produce poor results. They probably aren't all totally incompetent as doctors. It's probably more to do with just how delicate grafts are and just how careful the doctor and his technicians have to be with them.

Consider how closely each graft has to be trimmed before they are implanted into the tiny recipient incisions. The techs have to cut as close as possible without damaging them. The grafts also can't spend too long exposed to the air. The grafts are very vulnerable throughout the process so it's not surprising that even with the best surgeon and techs, there's a chance that a small number won't survive.