Scalp MicroPigmentation (SMP) on scar

I just met met with new hair institute.. Dr. Rassman and Dr. Pak regarding a scalp micropigmentation procedure (SMP). I have 2 scars from previous hair transplants.. One is pretty bad and when I wear my hair short, it looks pretty noticeable.

So I've been researching tattooing my scar or camouflaging it - and it looks like the SMP is going to be my best option..

They are going to do a scar revision on one of my scars that stretched pretty bad and SMP on the other scar.. When the scar revision heals in 6 months, they said they would do SMP on that scar as well.

One thing they are going to do for the scar revision is a double layered suture with some dissolveable stitches on the inner layer and staples on the outer layer. They also said they would put some A-Cell under the scar as well.. So it sounded much better than the traditional trycophytic procedure... So I was pretty excited about that..

The price, if anybody was wondering was $3,000 but since I agreed to allow them to use my photos they offered me a $500 discount.. So I'm paying $2,500.. If I decide to do my entire head with SMP, which I think I am leaning towards, so I can have the option to wear my hair shaved, it would be an additional $3,000.. I think all things considered, it's going to be money well spent..

So I thought I would share that with the community..

sasha,

Great to hear! Thank you for sharing your experience. I know I'm not the only one here eager to see more SMP results and it will be fascinating to follow your progress.

I hope you will consider presenting some before and after photos so we can really see the effects of scalp micropigmentation.

Good luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Yeah Dave- I will have new hair institute give me some pics and I will show them online..

One of my scars is like a half-inch wide from ear to ear.. It's pretty bad.. So I'm excited about the scar revision technique Dr. Pak was telling me he would use on me to prevent the scar from stretching out..

He said since my scalp was pretty elastic, generally, that leads to increased stretching.. So his technique would mitigate that as much as possible.

One downfall, which I did not consider, is that if you do the SMP over a scar and then grow your hair out, for the a certain amount of time until the hair covers the scar, there will be a line where the scar is, so it could look a little weird..

But still a heck of a lot better than it does now..

I did not know about SMP until I came on this site.. And although there seems to be a growing amount of people doing this.. I thought having it down my a hair restoration surgeon would be worth paying the premium than going to a tattoo shop or some permanent makeup aestaticion..

I just hope I am as excited post-procedure than I am now..

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know what happen with sasha2077?

I am also looking at smp and a scar revision with Dr Pak. I would really like to speak with him and see how it went with his scar revision. I also have a bad scar.

I tried to send private message but for some reason, there was no where to send message. My profile page came up. New poster. What im i doing wrong or what happen with private message?

Jr

Edited by jrbiz

Sasha,

if your checking in here, private message me please or let us know how it went with the revision. My situation is just like yours. I also have a bad scar from ear to ear with the type of scalp was elastic, that could lead to increased stretching. I m also considering Dr Pak for a revision followed by smp.

How did your scar come out?

jr

• 2 weeks later...

Hey buddy, sorry for the delay. Yes, I did have smp on my scar from Dr. pak and although I think he did an excellent job, I was expecting something different. Sometimes I like to get my hair cut short with a little bit of a fade, and I thought the SMP would allow me to do that without the scar being noticeable, butthat was not the case. Scar is still noticeable, but looks much better than it did. I think for me at least, having hair transplanted into this scar would be what I am looking for. I really want to be able to wear my hair really short on the sides without seeing the scar at all. I thought the SmP would do that. But the scar is still shows even with the SMP. Depending on what your goals are should drive you to the decision. If money isn't an issue at all, then I would say it can't hurt. But in my case I thought I could wear my hair very very short and the scar wouldn't show. So depending on how wide your scar is and exactly what your goals are is the real issue. The SMP definitely made an improvement. But it wasn't what I thought it was. Dr. Pak did an excellent job and he and his staff are absolutely wonderful. So I think if I did SMP anywhere, I would've had the same result. I do not think that I was clear enough about what my goals were and ideally I would like to wear my hair very short without seeing to start all. I think in order to do that the best thing for me is to have fue done on my scar. Well if you have anymore questions let me know Annello reply without delay

Good to hear that. Im actually going to Scar revision my scar and then I may either FUE it or SMP it. Can you post pics please to have a greater idea? This would really help. Thanks Sasha.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Hi Sasha, nice to hear from you.

How did your scar revision come out? Did you get one? You said you had a 1/2 inch scar from ear to ear and you were going to do the revision first. My situation is just like yours. I also have a bad scar from ear to ear with the type of scalp was elastic, that could lead to increased stretching.

I'm considering Dr Pak for the revision then maybe i would look into smp. But i know you will still have the smiley face on the back. I might put a real tattoo on the back and maybe smp on the sides. Just want to get this hat off my head. I already tried beard hair in the scar and it didn't hold. Now im back to a revision since i have the laxity.

Did you get a improvement with the scar revision?

Thanks so much Sasha,

JR

Edited by jrbiz

Why when people are asked to post pictures of SMP do they either ignore the request or disappear? The lack of photo evidence on this procedure from patients, not the clinic, is very disconcerting.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys yeah my scar revision with Dr. pak really reduced the size of the scar originally was about three quarters of an inch wide something about that and now it's much smaller although it wasn't a pencil line like I anticipated. But, to Dr. Paks credit I think if I would've followed his postoperation protocol my scar would not have stretch as much as it did. I very stupidly started to work out with very heavy weights and did various exercises which put a lot of strain on my neck my head and my scar, and I'm confident that had a pretty negative effect on the healing. On top of that, I was drinking alcohol and smoking medicinal marijuana and both of those things are not good for the healing process. I do think that Dr. pak procedure is state-of-the-art as well as his facilities. His staff and he himself is absolutely great I would go back to him in the future for another scar revision, but this time I'll be sure to follow the postoperation protocol big time. If you have any specific questions regarding this please send me a private message or reply to this thread and I'll be happy to answer any specific questions. With regard to any pictures unfortunately Dr. paks office took all the pictures and if you gave him a call I'm sure he would provide you with all his recent scar revision surgeries and you can see from the multitude of his work that he consistently does high-quality work

Hey guys yeah my scar revision with Dr. pak really reduced the size of the scar originally was about three quarters of an inch wide something about that and now it's much smaller although it wasn't a pencil line like I anticipated. But, to Dr. Paks credit I think if I would've followed his postoperation protocol my scar would not have stretch as much as it did. I very stupidly started to work out with very heavy weights and did various exercises which put a lot of strain on my neck my head and my scar, and I'm confident that had a pretty negative effect on the healing. On top of that, I was drinking alcohol and smoking medicinal marijuana and both of those things are not good for the healing process. I do think that Dr. pak procedure is state-of-the-art as well as his facilities. His staff and he himself is absolutely great I would go back to him in the future for another scar revision, but this time I'll be sure to follow the postoperation protocol big time. If you have any specific questions regarding this please send me a private message or reply to this thread and I'll be happy to answer any specific questions. With regard to any pictures unfortunately Dr. paks office took all the pictures and if you gave him a call I'm sure he would provide you with all his recent scar revision surgeries and you can see from the multitude of his work that he consistently does high-quality work

You should of took photos for your own good.. Especially when you are going through the amount of procedures that you had.. I think you should have Dr. Pak email you the photos and start posting them on this forum. If you don't want to show your face that's fine your cover your face in the photos.. Photo shop in pretty easy. It would help others like myself that are in the same situation that you are in.. I would love to see the photos of the revision and the SMP since I am considering a scar revision and SMP.

Thanks,

Formertrackstar

• 4 weeks later...

Scar revisions are a risky business. In my experience a scar revision made things worse. Perhaps once the donor area is traumatized to a point.....it's better to look at SMP or alternative, less invasive options to repair; that's what I'm doing anyhow.

• 8 months later...

Seems kinda expensive. I thought it was supposed to be a cheaper alternative

Ht #1: sure hair for men 21 years old unk amount of grafts. waste of money

Ht #2: 2005 with FUT with Dr Armani. Don't remember the amount of grafts. Great result re building the hairline and frontal thirs

HT #3: Jan 18 with Dr Doganay Fue: 2500 grafts, 600 crown, 400 into Fut scar, 400 temple rebuild, the rest into the front third to beef up the hairline. still waiting on results obviously

Why when people are asked to post pictures of SMP do they either ignore the request or disappear? .... very disconcerting.

Are you really surprised?

The situation with SMP is still very dodgy and in flux. Those who risk it, are not likely to put it up in lights. You got it all to lose, and nothing to gain. Posting HT results has a kick-back, and that ain't all about love and sharing the 'good news'. It really makes the HT clinic mentioned accountable to the poster, and vice-versa. After all, you could be back.

For SMP, you wanna get it and get the hell outta there, unless you wanna piece of the pie for yourself. And frankly, I think that isn't as bad as it sounds, For less than 50 bucks you can get ink, guns, a DVD from China on line.

These (some of these) SMP shops have shown themselves to be pretty dodgy operations when it comes to the web, and marketing themselves. At least an HT clinic has something that is accountable and accessible and recognizable from a legal institution stand point. I mean, at least they are plugged into the system, so to speak.

Not to mention the incredible discrepancies that are hard to fathom viz-a-viz, inks, techniques, The unregulated ink industry.

And I'm willing to bet, just as I suspect you allude to...that more than a few are having some major misgivings about the - pardon the pun- line they have been sold. Not to mention the color.

• 3 years later...