Shampoo

Shampoo will not cause your hair to fall out. Shampooing in general can dry out your scalp and hair so doctors recommend shampooing every other day. But you can also use certain shampoos like T Gel or conditioners that will re-moisturize your hair.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Is using Head and Shoulders OK? My hair dresser told me to only use it twice a week as it dries hair out? Am I going to lose more or should I go on a different one?

A lot of people who want to do everything they can to slow down hair loss will use a shampoo containing Ketoconazole. It stops the itching associated with MPB plus it's a mild DHT inhibitor. I use Nizoral twice a week and then use a mild shampoo on the other days.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Is using Head and Shoulders OK? My hair dresser told me to only use it twice a week as it dries hair out? Am I going to lose more or should I go on a different one?

i got very good solution for my hair problem.I would recommend using Moroccan Argan Oil.

(promotional link removed by moderator)

Edited by titan36

• 4 weeks later...

One of the big reasons shampoo dries out hair is because it contains sulfates (sodium or ammonium laureth sulfates). Look on the back of a dishwashing fluid bottle: one of the main ingredients will be a kind of sulfate, same as your shampoo.

Sulfate is a really powerful way to wash out grease and oil. When you put it in hair it really dries out the scalp/hair. Look for sulfate free shampoos, and if you want to use Head and Shoulders, just use the conditioner, which is sulfate free.

I hate Head & Shoulders. It dries out my scalp and hair terribly and leaves me itchy. I gave up completely on drugstore brands a long time ago. I only use sulfate and paraben free shampoos now. They tend to be much more expensive than drugstore brands, but they're worth it, in my opinion.

Also, I alternate my shampoos daily: I use one shampoo one day, and a different one the next. I never use the same shampoo more than twice in the same week... my bathroom is very crowded, to say the least.

Oribe is my personal favorite because of its scent, which is by Tom Ford... very indulgent and quite masculine. I love the way it leaves my hair feeling and smelling.

Bumble & Bumble has an amazing texture and richness to it. It's a great all-around brand, very refreshing. Everyone I know who uses it, swears by it, myself included.

Simply Scientific Hair is a new line that Dr. Dorin created. He gave me a bottle of it last month after my second HT. I really like it. I'll definitely be adding it to my rotation now. It has a really nice scent too, ginger-grapefruit, and it leaves hair very silky and refreshed.

All three brands above are around $25-$35 a bottle, but the way I see it is, I've already invested so much money in my hair with my HT, so why not take the best care of it as possible now. After all, you don't put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari...

So to that end, I use premium products and go to a high-end hair stylist. It's worth it for me because I can definitely tell the difference in quality products and the work of a good stylist... you get what you pay for.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

All three brands above are around $25-$35 a bottle, but the way I see it is, I've already invested so much money in my hair with my HT, so why not take the best care of it as possible now. After all, you don't put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari...

So to that end, I use premium products and go to a high-end hair stylist. It's worth it for me because I can definitely tell the difference in quality products and the work of a good stylist... you get what you pay for.

Totally agree. That's my philosophy as well. What's a measly $60 haircut after two or three transplants?!? I'll definitely check out some of those shampoo's. I suspect I should be careful with shampoo's given my sensitive skin. Definitely worth a shot tho.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group