Nizoral causing flakes and burning...Is this bad for hair loss??

I started using nizoral a couple months back and at first it was good but in the past month or so it has been causing the front of my hair to really flake up and it also causes a huge itch/burning sensation on my scalp. What does this mean and can this contribute to more loss???

nymy12,

How often are you using Nizoral? I've heard and personally found that Nizoral can cause scalp irritation and inflammation if used too frequently. Nizoral can also induce hair shedding and cause dry hair or scalp.

If this is happening to you, consider cutting down its use or eliminate it altogether.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for the reply Bill. For the first month I used it like 4 times a week and it was great. The it started to hurt my scalp and really flake my hair so I only use it once a week the past month but even when I do it now once a week, I still get the burns for hours after along with the flakes ( don't know if it causes more shedding. It does make my hair really dry and brittle but also seems to thicken it up if thats possible. Also I use Nioxin on the days I do not use nizoral. Is that wise or is Nioxin too harsh to use in conjunction with Nizoral? I think I just might eliminate it but Nizoral is the only thing I am using right now for hair loss because I haven't decided on prp and I heard propecia doesnt really help in the front which is where my loss ( and scalp burning and itch) occurs.

nyny --

Perform a search and find Spex's post about Nizoral. You will find it extremely helpful. I think he should bookmark it.

I am certain that Nizoral has hurt me more than it's helped me. You really have to use it sparingly, because it can be very harsh and irritating.

newyork,

I tried Nizoral, when I first started losing hair, but I quickly discarded it so I did not have irritation like you.

However, you can try folligen or copper peptide products to relieve your irritation.

I heard propecia doesnt really help in the front which is where my loss

Finasteride works everywhere.

take care...

nyny12, It's ironic that most anti-dandruff shampoo's can as a side effect cause dandruff. I have dermatitis of the scalp and have used Nizoral in the past. However, it is an antifungal and can be quite corrosive on the skin. I developed itching/burning after about a week of using the nizoral. As a result I stopped using it.

I'd go with Bill's advice and try reducing your use, and if it doesn't work, stop it altogether. Such irritation of the scalp itself can be associated with extra hair shedding.

I do not use Rogaine as I expect that it would cause a similar effect.

I wouldn't worry about not using Nizoral shampoo as part of your hairloss regime, as it's not approved for hairloss and also since any DHT inhibitory effect is likely to be small.

It sounds like you may have a sensitive scalp - have you had any scalp issues in the past. I asked Joe Greco on another Forum if PRP would be suitable for people with scalp conditions and he said that due to its anti inflammatory properties they have seen improvements in scalp conditions post PRP and that it would not be contra-indicated.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here: