Less grafts than expected--questions...

HTGuy

I recently (4 days ago) had HT procedure. Upon consultation with the leading surgeon in my area (I won't give the name, but most on this site would recognize it), we decided upon 2100 grafts. This number would not only make a huge difference, but leave some for a few years down the road if needed. During the procedure, it turned out the doctor was only able to take 1700 grafts. Honestly, it was very distressing because I knew something wasn't going as planned, but no one really took the time to explain in detail. So my questions are:

1) Why couldn't the full amount of grafts be taken and shouldn't my doctor had been able to more accurately estimate the number?

2) My doctor said I could come back in 10 months to a year to have another procedure, once my skin adjusted. Please explain. And how many additional may be possible (roughly)?

3) Should I be worried about future graft availability given this situation? Has too large of a percentage of my grafts been used due to this miscalculation?

I have sent these questions to my doctor's office, but am yet to get a reply.

Thanks!

hair.jpg.ec64a932afb54151e62e0eaf0826b304.jpg

Why the secrecy surounding your doctor? You mentioned no one took the time to explain in detail, did you ask these questions and simply not get a good answer?

He/she should be able to answer all of these questions. Your asking for others to speculate on an event in which they weren't present. If the doc doesn't want to explain then I understand, but otherwise you'll be reasons that aren't based on anything but possibilities.

I'd pick up the phone and call versus emailing.... easier to ask additional questions depending on how your original ones are answered.

Good luck

Dr Arocha

3626 FU's

H1: 508

H2: 1741

H3: 1377

My Hairloss Website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2127

Maybe your laxity wasn't as great as estimated during the pre-op consultation. I'm just guessing but you should really ask your doc.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I'm sure my doctor will get back to me, but some of my questions would best be answered by other professionals, such as should he have been better able to judge my laxity prior to the procedure. My budget and time is very limited, so the thought of having to repeat the surgery so soon is distressing. Hopefully my 1700 grafts will be enough for a few years. I'm also curious if anyone else has had this scalp laxity issue and how it impacted future procedures.

Ive read lots of posts on here where the actual harvest was either less or in some cases more than what was expected. From what I gather It can have to do with donor density, laxity etc. It does not necessarily mean that the doctor did anything wrong.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

No matter how good a doctor is, he cannot tell the future. I had a consult with Dr Konior, who is great, and he told me a saying that has stuck with me. That saying is " if your scalp cooperates " I don't think even the best HT surgeon knows for sure until he actually opens you up! However, I would have certainly gotten my answer before I left the clinic. I would not have left there wondering why I did not get the number of grafts we planned on.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website