Dr. Feller??

Hi all,

Regarding Dr.Alan Feller, I understand that he one of most experienced and skilled surgeons in FUE as well as FUT surgeries

I was wondering, since Dr. Feller is a DO, is that equivalent to MD or is there some difference ?

Is it ok that he does not specialize in Dermatology ?

Also why isn't he board certified i.e. ABHRS or comsmetic surgery ?

Furthermore,

Dr.Feller stated himself that he has had a few unfortunate cases or surgeries that did not quite go as planned or quite as well, is this ok ??

Also, does he perform FUE on large scale or only small sessions ?,

and finally, is it an acceptable practice that he would stop an FUE surgery if he feels that it not going very well ?

Thank you in advance : )

In general he is world class but 1 or 2 results seem to have not been up to his standard but if you search feller on here you can read and take from it what you may, he answers and talks about the results in the threads in question. Also email him he'll explain about the other questions.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

I was wondering, since Dr. Feller is a DO, is that equivalent to MD or is there some difference ?

Is it ok that he does not specialize in Dermatology ?

D.O. Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine.

M.D. Doctor of Medicine. (or some say Medical Doctor)

I've asked several doctors this exact same questions and never seem to get a definite, clear answer. LOL!:rolleyes:

As far as I know, for all intents and purposes, they're basically the same thing. The training for both is virtually indistinguishable in the US. Four years of undergraduate work and four years of medical school, followed by a residency in their specialty field. From what I understand, the curriculum in medical school is almost identical as well.

However, I have read that in theory, DOs are supposed to view illnesses and disease as a "Total Person" or wholly and to focus a lot on preventative care. Whereas an MD is trained to focus on specific symptoms or illnesses.

However, I think in practice you will find that both address the "total person" and both appreciate preventative care, etc... I think it's largely a matter of semantics.

Lastly, I don't think specializing in dermatology is necessary, although I'm sure it could only help. I think Bernstein was a Dermatologist before he got into hair restoration...

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

D.O. Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine.

M.D. Doctor of Medicine. (or some say Medical Doctor)

I've asked several doctors this exact same questions and never seem to get a definite, clear answer. LOL!:rolleyes:

As far as I know, for all intents and purposes, they're basically the same thing. The training for both is virtually indistinguishable in the US. Four years of undergraduate work and four years of medical school, followed by a residency in their specialty field. From what I understand, the curriculum in medical school is almost identical as well.

However, I have read that in theory, DOs are supposed to view illnesses and disease as a 'Total Person" or wholly and to focus a lot on preventative care. Whereas an MD is trained to focus on specific symptoms or illnesses.

However, I think in practice you will find that both address the "total person" and both appreciate preventative care, etc... I think it's largely a matter of semantics.

Lastly, I don't think specializing in dermatology is necessary, although I'm sure it could only help. I think Bernstein was a Dermatologist before he got into hair restoration...

Corvettester

Excellent response! I'm not sure if everyone knows, but I'm currently enrolled in an Osteopathic medical school (D.O., compared to the M.D. or Allopathic model) and if anyone has any further questions (Corvettester really did an excellent job explaining), feel free to ask and I'll answer them.

Furthermore, just as a point of references, many of our highly respected recommended and Coalition hair transplant surgeons, including Dr. Dorin, Dr. Feller, Dr. Charles, Dr. Friedman, and Dr. Aronovitz, are D.O.s.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Dr.Feller stated himself that he has had a few unfortunate cases or surgeries that did not quite go as planned or quite as well, is this ok ??

Every doctor has a few clunkers. There are no guaranteed results in HT surgery and you will sign a waiver form confirming you understand this.

Also, does he perform FUE on large scale or only small sessions

I don't know what the largest case Dr. F has done, but his larger sessions are usually between 1000-1500. Dr. Feller tends to stay away from the megasession fue case and instead recommends strip.

and finally, is it an acceptable practice that he would stop an FUE surgery if he feels that it not going very well ?

It's an ethical practice, that's for sure.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com