16 days post and hair feels so brittle, normal?

Hey guys,

I'm now at day 16 and the recipient site just feels so brittle, is that normal? I just got a full bottle of coconut oil as it seems to be a bit better than the aloe vera as it is a bit greasier and the recipient area just feels so brittle I feel like this might be better at trying to soften it up a bit.

Any thoughts?

I haven't really heard of hair being brittle after a transplant. Are you talking about your transplanted hair or native hair? Because the transplanted hair probably will be shedding soon.

Aloe is not mandatory post-op but a lot of members feel it helps soothe the scalp after all the scabs have shed. I just like putting it on because my hair is shaved and my scalp feels good. It won't really do anything for the growth.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Yes, but do you have any native hair in the recipient area? The transplanted hairs would be short and stubby because they were trimmed. It depends what your doc did with the native hair (did you keep it long, did you shave it, did you have any there in the first place?). Pics would be helpful but I don't think brittle is something I've heard about before.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

VINNY1980.. I think you had my case maybe, when the hair transplant is bad this happens, becasue technicians didnt handle the graft well, for that reason its got brittle and kinky. Thats what happened in my case and was explained to me by many recommended doctors.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Spex recommends Aloe Vera. He also recommends Witch Hazel to help the redness. Congratulations on your transplant!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Thanks guys, yah I think it's just due to the numbness and the implanted hairs are short and pointy and I didn't shave my head so I am comparing them to the longer softer hairs possibly. I have used the coconut oil and will re-start the aloe vera and I think the area is ok, but will probably cut down on the minoxidil 5% to once a day for a few days just to be sure my scalp isn't super irritated by it. Thanks for your thoughts guys! All help and advice is greatly appreciated.

It's probably due to the things you've already identified, but also if your scalp is feeling very dry then this could give the brittle feeling. I doubt if the hairs are actually brittle as such.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thank you Mattj! Actually, now I'm day 18. I think I confused the brittleness with scabs. As I looked in the mirror at first I thought it was dandruff then I realized that it is possibly be scabs in the recipient area. I was extremely gentle with the area, baby shampoo and the cup of water technique. I guess now maybe I should be rubbing it a bit more (I know grafts are in place after day 10, but I am paranoid). Would you guys advise that? I know some ppl say take two showers a day, etc. When is the ideal point to start really shampooing deep into the recipient area?

You can be assisting the scabs in coming away now during washing. You've probably noticed with other wounds you've had that scabs soften up and are more likely to drop off during washing.

It's my personal opinion that if a scab shows any resistance to coming away then it should probably be left a little longer. It's basically attached to healing tissue and that tender, fresh tissue can be damaged if you pick a scab too early.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com