O.k, I am post-op day #5 and I have noticed more then normal amount of hair loss while washing my hair. Yes I have been very careful and am using baby shampoo. I have not noticed any hair loss on my pillow when I wake up, just in the shower and a little when I am combing my hair. Why???

That is shock loss, which is normal. You will look temporarily thinner after your procedure as some of your native hair may go into a dormant stage along with some of the native hair getting cut by the incisions. Again this is temporary but people tend to have a slightly thinner look for about 3 months because that's when those hairs will regrow along with the transplanted hairs. In the meantime, once your scabs have fallen off (between 8-10 days) you can use cosmetics like dermatch or toppik to hide those thinner areas.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

But the loss isn't in the recipient area, it is in the back of my head.

I thought maybe shock loss, but I guess I didn't know it would happen this soon.

Thank you for talking with me about this!

You'll be fine. It gets worse before it gets better.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

It is also common to see the donor area (where the scar is) get thinner directly after surgery. One is shock loss as I explained above, the other is by the shaving of the area prior to the removal of the strip. This gives you the illusion that your scar is large or that you have lost a lot of hair in the area, but in fact it's a lot to do with the hairs back there have simply been shaved down and they will grow back normally. Just as aaron1234 said it's worse before it gets better, but this all sounds very normal.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

It is also common to see the donor area (where the scar is) get thinner directly after surgery. One is shock loss as I explained above, the other is by the shaving of the area prior to the removal of the strip. This gives you the illusion that your scar is large or that you have lost a lot of hair in the area, but in fact it's a lot to do with the hairs back there have simply been shaved down and they will grow back normally. Just as aaron1234 said it's worse before it gets better, but this all sounds very normal.

That makes a lot of sense, I have a question though?? In your earlier post you stated that shockloss could be a result of your native hair being cut during the procedure? I fought that cutting the follicle would result in permanent shockloss ?

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

When I said cut the hair I meant cutting the hair cosmetically like a haircut. If you actually cut or transect the follicle during the incision process than yes that hair can be permanently shocked out. That occurs minimally during a procedure with a skilled surgeon, but other temporary shock loss occurs by trauma to the scalp and if your hair was healthy prior to the surgery than it should grow back normally within a few months, but if it was already miniaturizing or unhealthy than there's a chance it may not survive the procedure, but the surgeon will compensate for that loss with more transplanted hair so the end result will look better.

It's not as if you lose a tremendous amount, you just may see some thinning for those first two months, some people don't have much at all. The shock loss occurs within those time frames but don't think that you are going to lose all the hair on top of your head because that's simply not true. The amount of hair will be minimal and if can fall out in those time frames but again you're not going to be bald.

I appear to be having the loss from the back of my head, not the recipient area. It just kinda had me worried when I'm washing my hair and I am seeing more then normal hair loss! lol

Thanks for the advice! =)