Finasteride concerns

Herakles

I want to get more hair density back, my hair has been very slowly thinning since around 13yo and now I'm 27yo. I've had no shedding.

I've heard stories of people going off finasteride and then their hair starts to shed. So my concern is, that a few months after taking finasteride I might get a side effect, stop taking it and shed hair like crazy. Is this what might happen?

Thank you.

Guest mariewoltz25411697

You would only shed hairs gained from using Finasteride. Fin wouldn't cause faster shedding after stop using it.

There is a chance you would shed more....I think Im right when I say this...not only the hair that you gained, but also the hair you would have lost while on finasteride will shed...good news is if your 3 months in and have no sides, you will prob be fine!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

There is a chance you would shed more....I think Im right when I say this...not only the hair that you gained, but also the hair you would have lost while on finasteride will shed...good news is if your 3 months in and have no sides, you will prob be fine!

This will explain my recent 3 month shed. I've switched both Finasteride and Minoxidil from Dr Lee's magic mixes.

I have doubts about my current finasteride. Should I be shedding even though I continued using Finasteride in the same dose? The first was Dr Lee's and the latter that I'm using now is Genpharma's.

What should I do? How can I find Finasteride that was most similar to Dr Lee's?

Herk,

Officially, only a very small number of individuals experience side effects from finasteride (2-3%) and these subside after stopping the medication (if we are discussing the same side effects I'm assuming).

Like a few others have stated, in theory, if you stop the finasteride you will lose the hairs you've maintained and grew and the hair loss will continue progressing. I don't foresee any sort of increased shock loss from the medication, but most experts agree that you should take the medication for at least 6 months (most suggest 12) before analyzing the results, and if you can make it to this point (without adverse side effects), it's probably best.

Also, keep in mind that the significant shedding period associated with finasteride occurs usually within the first 3-4 months and then stabilizes and starts working effectively from that point on. If your concern is what would happen if you stopped the medication during this period, my assumption (and I can't express that point enough as I've never personally read about people stopping the medication during this phase) is that the shedding would cease and reverse (during a reasonable time frame), but you wouldn't see any additional benefit from the drug.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been taking Finasteride for almost 4 months now and I definitely noticed shedding right at the 3 month mark. The shedding has stopped now and I think the hair is starting to grow back...it looks better now than it did at the 3 month mark. Only slightly better, but still better so that gives me hope I'll regain all I lost from shedding and if I'm lucky, more.

I've been on fin for 8 months and have been experienced nothing but ongoing phases of shed and even more accelerated hair loss. I'm determined to give it the full 12 months but at this point, I am very disappointed with the results. I started taking fin with the misconception that it would help stop the diffuse thinning that i was noticing in my temples and front hairline. 8 months in and those areas, as well as the top of my scalp have experienced even further diffuse thinning.

• 2 weeks later...

auteur55,

Sorry to hear you're having the same bad luck. I was determined to give it the full year but have stopped taking proscar three days ago with hopes that the shedding will stop.

I am convinced that I started taking proscar/fin too early. I was, and still am, far from being completely bald but had noticed my front hairline and temples starting to thin. Scared out of my mind, i jumped on fin and all it's done is accelerate the thinning all over my scalp. I kept waiting and waiting for the shedding to stop and for the shed hair to regrow but it didn't. I kept losing more and more volume to the point where my scalp is now clearly visible even in weak lighting.

Despite people keep pushing that you need to give it a full year, I feel that i've given the drug enough time to see that it's doing more harm to me than good. You sharing similar results even after having been on it a month and half longer with no positive results, only reaffirms my decision to call it quits.

Best of luck to you.

Posrex if what we are saying is true then we have every reason to be very angry. I'm assuming before a drug is released significant testing must be done to determine side effects. If a major side effect of this is that if you start using it to young you'll lose the front of your hair rapidly then something is very wrong with out druge are rolled out. I know this is a bit irrational but if I found out this "hair loss" drug that was advertised as necessary to slowing hair loss made me lose more hair upon taking it I would hire a lawyer and sue the living heck out of whatever idiots put this drug on the market. It's infuriating to think this drug that everyone told me "the earlier you get on it the better" caused me to actually lose hair. Who can I contact for a full refund and damages??

Yeah, I am pretty angry but I'm pretty sure that Merck, the manufacturers of propecia, as well as the manufacturers of proscar and other generic forms of fin have their asses pretty much covered from potential lawsuits. And at some point, I think we do have to take some responsibility. I think that I should have done more research into the consequences and uncertainties of taking finasteride from the beginning. I think I was naivein thinking that the positive opinions and results from people who had success with the drug on these forums, and other forums, would directly correlate with my own experience.

In the end, it was our decision to start taking it and it sucks like crazy that we responded with such adverse effects but there's not much we can do at this point.

I am angry, but more than angry I'm just really down and depressed and just confused. Should I go back on proscar and just keep hoping that the worst is over and that by giving it another 4 months (making a complete year) I would have at least the peace of mind knowing that I gave the drug it's full course? I feel like by stopping here at month 8 I'd be wondering "what if I had stayed on a little longer? would the shedding have stopped?" I guess since you've been on it 9 1/2 months with further exacerbated results has really discouraged me from continuing...especially since we've had the exact same experience.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck man. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one out there who's been suffering this fate.