Scar tissue from multiple transplants and growth

Does having multiple procedures in the same area, say the front/hairline area, cause so much more scar tissue that the growth rate of the subsequent procedure and overall yield be significant less?

I've heard conflicting opinions and did read other similar threads, but was hoping that a doctor or network professional would be kind enough to chime in on their expertise in this area.

The growth rate should be similar with multiple transplants. It was the same with my first two procedures and I will see what happens with the third.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thanks AAron.. It's just that my last procedure was a failure, I think it was because I went into a tanning bed within the first week of my transplant and did not cover my head. My doc said not to worry, but over a year went by (18 months) and I did not experience any growth. So he was cool, and gave me another 1800 grafts in the front, I am just worried that maybe these wont grow, and that the tanning was not the reason that the last one did not grow

Well, the tanning thing wasn't a great idea but if you didn't burn I don't think that would have destroyed the grafts. I hope that round 2 works out better for you! Did your doctor give you a reasonable explanation why the first procedure didn't turn out?

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Well I know it was a dumb move, I was planning on covering my head, but totally forgot, and after I was done tanning, I totally freaked out, because I did 2800 grafts. The next day I went to see the doc, and he said the same thing, since there is no sun burn on the grafts, don't worry. But after a year went by, then 18 months, I said.. Doc, I dont think it should take this long.. Then finally he agreed to give me another procedure for free.. So I dont know what the deal could be. My first procedure before the tanning I experienced a major amount of growth. So I am just wondering if perhaps scar tissue could cause little to no growth on subsequent procedures if grafts were done in the same exact location or what.

Ah, I see. So then this is your third one then too, huh? Who's your doc? Do you got pics?

Yeah, it was the third. At this point, I don't want to say who the doc was, because he was super cool, and I dont want any comments to appear to disparage his name or reputation. But he is one that was recommended by this site and has a great reputation and credentials. So I dont think he or his staff did anything out of the ordinary, but maybe its my scalp has too much scar tissue and not the grafts just wont grow. I'm not sure. I'm about 4 month out since his free procedure and have not seen any growth yet.. and believe me, I look every day, a few times a day. Plus I'm using rogaine, propecia, revita, revita.cor, all sorts of stuff.

Cool dude. Looking every day is fine and well but the best way to determine progress is monthly pics. Hope you are doing that and you grow well this time around!

I'm glad to hear that your doctor stood behind his work.

One question I would ask though is if I didn't get any growth from the 2,800 graft procedure, what makes the doc think that I would get growth from another one? Is that how it really works?

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Well I guess after the 18 months of no growth, he just figured it was attributable to the tanning bed exposure and that was the only reason for no growth. So I am really hoping that this recent procedure works. I'd hate to wait another 18 months to realize that it was not the sun exposure after all and was for some other unknown reason.