Is this normal procedure?

I've recently had an increased awareness and reaction to my hairloss(NW3), as a result I was forced to look in to surgery options. Just minutes ago I checked an email i received from Rahal Transplant with a summarisation of what I 'might' need. The email follows:

Dear (My Name),

Thank you for sending your photos for your Procedure evaluation. I have

discussed your specific case with Dr. Rahal and he has completed your

assessment and recommendation.

Recommendation :

You will require 2500 follicular units to achieve your required result.

This will give you coverage and added density in the hairline area. Dr. Rahal does not want to touch the crown area at this point in time. The 2500 grafts will be transplanted in one session over one day. Once we have seen you at our offices prior to your procedure, Dr Rahal will be able to confirm this amount of grafts which is based on detailed measurements of recipient area, donor density, hair quality, Family history of hair loss and your facial dimensions.

We are well known in the industry for our artistic approach, integrating the

best scientific methods with creativity and artistic sensibility.

Pricing:

Your FUT procedure based on 2500 grafts will be $11,300 CAD(taxes inc) We will be able to give you a 10% discount off this rate to help pay for your travel and hotel expenses while you are here in Ottawa. This means your new total will be $10,170 CAD.

This price includes all medications, follow up appointments and surgical

room costs.

The advantages of choosing Dr. Rahal:

Choice We are proud to offer both the FUT and FUE method. We are

able to concentrate on what is the best procedure for you and whether you

are a better candidate for a certain procedure.

Design and Artistry Hair angle, direction and design are the most important component to a successful procedure. The angle of each individual follicle and how close the follicle is implanted are extremely important to the overall result.

Density Dr. Rahal achieves unrivaled density, key to a natural hair transplant.

Temple Angle Closure Ignored by other clinics but essential to a

a great transplant through closing the hairline and sides. It frames the face

and creates a natural result.

Strategic Placement ability to create visual density is based on the

angle of transplanting the follicular units. Our unique strategy entails the proper angles when transplanting the hairline, crown and the top mid scalp. This approach ensures grafts are used economically to cover front

to back.

Congratulations in taking the first step in gaining control of your hair loss. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you and all your hair loss

needs.

Please feel free to call me with your questions, 001 613-739-3044.

Best regards,

(Advisor's name)

Patient Advisor - Ottawa

Is this normal? Is it this easy? I sent in my pics and I'm now on the verge of being accepted as a patient of Dr Rahal's. Kind of frightened me a tad.

No reason to be frightened IMO. You requested an online consultation and you got one. As far as i know, online consultations are not unsual for people wishing to consult with doctors that do not live in their area.

It's a starting point provided by a team that has a tremendous amount of experience and an excellent reputation. Since you are travelling from out of town, would you prefer to make two trips? One to get assessed and another to have the procedure? Because you can do that as well. Or get this as a starting point that is close to a finishing point and have it revised a bit if the pictures didn't provide for a 100% assessement along with the other variables they couldnt properly assess thru a photo when you come in for your procedure as they stated in their email. Obviously you have to be ready for a bit of variability but it won't be 2500 grafts to 5000. It's the tradeoff you have to make for not having to travel and get the initial assessement done in person. My opinion anyhow 8)

Edited by Sigildark

Hi Sigildark. I see where you're coming from, but I expected it to be a longer process. I expected more pictures be requested or more questions asked. But it seems he knows exactly what needs doing. It caught me off guard because it's my first consultation. Judging by the quick response I think Dr Rahal is even better than I expected.

At least it bodes well for my encouragement, I hope I come across as an 'easy' patient.

Norwoodbalding- that is the online consult, if you would feel better speaking with Dr Rahal call his office and set up a time to speak with him. You CAN talk to him directly. I did. He's very good, but he's very busy. He will make time to speak with you about your case though. There is no telling how many online consults he does in a week.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

This is relatively normal. In my consults, there were various approaches. In some instances the doctors call you. In others you receive letters like yours. Some set up phone conferences with patient advisors. All of the top clinics will spend as much time as you need talking to you and answering your questions. In every instance, I believe that the doctor will speak to you if you arrange a time.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

This looks like a fairly straightforward response. By filling out the online consultation form you are indicating that you wish to have an assessment by Dr. Rahal. I've not looked over their consultation form but I'm sure it is similar to ours in that we ask for photos from specific angles and we provide detailed instructions on what to do and what not to do for photos.

As long as the photos are clear and shot as directed then a fairly accurate assessment can be made. However, because these are photos the advisor did make it clear that clinical evaluation is needed to confirm their findings. I include this type of disclaimer with each and every consultation form I send out to be sure people understand this.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Your photos must have been good enough that no more were needed. Sometimes poor photos are sent for evaluation and we do have to request better ones.

With the internet, surgeons enjoy a global presence, and a large proportion of patients are willing to travel long distances for surgery with their chosen doctor. Under these circumstances, photographs and the sharing of information will normally provide the basis for assessment during the initial consultation stage. I can't speak for other clinics, but in the vast majority of cases this will be enough for Dr Rahal to make an accurate recommendation that still stands after he has examined you in person during the pre-surgery meeting at the clinic.

In short, it has become standard practice and ultimately it works.

As others have mentioned, there's always the option to arrange a phone conversation with Dr Rahal if you feel you can benefit from some of the instant back and forth discussion that this allows.

Edited by mattj

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thank you everyone for your input.

I was taken aback with this being my first consultation and I just want to clarify; I wasn't at all doubting the integrity of the practice or the assessment, but the way in which the whole process affected me. I expected some preparatory advice on whether I should proceed with the surgery in the first place . It was just a reality check as to how serious by case is now.

Now that I know how it all works, I intend to make an arrangement this summer to fly over.

Once again, thanks for all the comments.

Hi NorwoodBalding,

It sort of sounds like you've taken your acceptance for surgery as confirmation that your hairloss anxieties are valid, but you were hoping you'd be told you aren't ready and turned down. Is that fair or have I misinterpreted your words?

Dr Rahal must've thought that surgery was justified in your case: that cosmetic improvement could be made and that there weren't any other factors that ruled you out as a patient. Beyond that, the decision of whether or not to proceed is entirely up to you, and it's difficult for a surgeon to really be involved in this very personal and individual process.

But having said that, you do seem like someone who would benefit from meeting your doctor in person. If you fly in to meet Dr Rahal then I'm sure you'll be put at ease about the whole thing. Having witnessed his way with patients I'm certain of that.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hi Mattj,

Yeah, I think you interpreted it about right. The reason for my anxiety is that I've just transitioned to a phase where my recession on the hairline and temples is visible even with the use of cosmetics. I've essentially switched from NW2 to NW3. However, the shape of my head with certain hairstyles/hair products does a decent job of concealing a large part of my hair loss.

Just want to clarify, my post was in no way an attempt to question Dr Rahal's practice, (even though it may have come across like that) but I was merely questioning the process of consultation for hair transplantation as a whole.

You're right, this is a bit of a mental challenge for me, but I hope I can come to a decision soon. Thanks for taking the time out to reply.