Rogaine Foam Redness Post-Op

I had a FUE transplant nearly six weeks ago and the redness appeared to have subsided within two to three weeks but it's been prolonged since I started using Rogaine Foam. I think my skin is slightly sensitive to it in the recipient area. It fades a little when I wash it out but sort of keeps a slight pinkish hue. Is this something I should be concerned about?

I guess my only issue with it is now is that since a lot of the grafts have shed it's a little bit noticeable in bright light in this quasi ugly duckling phase but not to the extent where I'd want to discontinue using it unless there's a reason I should. Anyone else experience this?

Hi Rockz, The hue is normal at this stage and will probably be more noticeable under florescent lighting. It will eventually return to normal. I don't think it's the rogain

Edited by Levrais

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Levrais is right. I have been using Rogaine Foam immediately *2 weeks* after my surgery, and have not noticed any redness. I even mix (1/2 & 1/2) the foam with a regular minoxidil and apply on the recipient area, and no redness.

So, it's safe to say, it's probably not the foam. :)

Anyway, hope you ht turns out well in the coming days. Grow well.

• 2 weeks later...

hey rockz, dropped by to check out ya progress...

i'm into my 1mth plus 2 weeks phase right now, i am not applying anything on them at the moment, just having some vit e and MSM once every few days. My receipent area are slightly pinkish too and it itch at times... most of the planted hair have fell out now, together with lots of shock losses. seems like its worse than before now...

but as you said yourself... the wait continues... lets have some faith... and i'm certainly still following your updates. your condition is pretty much like mine.

Dr. Charles. I actually did not. I started using it two weeks after the procedure.

whathappensnext. Everything is going very well. I'm getting toward the eight week post-op phase. The recipient area is a lot less red than when I posted this and it doesn't seem to react as much from the Foam so I guess I'm not really concerned at this point now.

My hair is longer now and I think I have surprisingly retained about 15-20% of my grafts (more so on my right side). There may be some traces of new growth. All I know is that I have a ways to go but my hair now still looks better at this length that I could have ever pulled it off pre-op. I hope things are going well on your end. Please keep us posted as well and happy growing.

Some people are more sensitive than others are to the potential for Minoxidil to irritate the scalp. Add to this the increased sensitivity of the skin that can remain for a while post op and some redness isn't surprising. I'm glad it's improved and would expect it to continue getting better until it's not an issue any more.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thats great that things are mellowing out. If it flairs up again consider backing off a little bit. Most likely as you get farther from your surgery date the skin sensitivity will decrease and make it less likely to react to topical applications.

Yeah, I couldn't tolerate the foam. My skin is so sensitive that within a couple days of using it my ears became chapped and dry (I don't know how since I applied it to the balding areas on my head), not to mention my scalp was irritated. I guess the foam isn't for everyone but I'm glad you are starting to clear up.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group