How well does Propecia work?

baldingguy4

Hi,

I am a 23 year old who is going bald as I am genetically predisposed. It is becoming more and more noticeable and my hairline near my temples is beginning to recede.I have been on Propecia for about 3 months now and the only real effect I noticed was a itchy tingly phase a month or so in which went away. I haven't experienced any other side effects that I am aware of.

My question is, how do I measure how well the drug is doing in terms of slowing my hair loss down?

Can someone who began using Propecia in their early 20s and is now bald please tell me about their experience with the drug and how much they think it slowed their hair loss down.

Thanks,

BaldingGuy4

it works on about 90 percent of people from what I have read. Most people that take propecia and then stop experience significant loss in my experience. The doctors I have asked said that you will only lose what you would have lost anyway, so that tells me that it significantly helps most people.

I figure I am on it til a miracle cure comes along.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I started taking Propecia in 1997 at the age of 22. I stopped it about a year ago after reading some of the recent disturbing articles about the side effects. After about 6 months or so off, I started losing hair fairly rapidly. So, I think it had definitely been working to maintain most of what I still had.

I have since started taking it again, and I have noticed less hair falling out in the shower.

Well, if you're looking for statistics then the following comes directly from Merck's Propecia website:

A 5-year clinical study demonstrated the effectiveness of PROPECIA.

• 9 of 10 men who took PROPECIA had visible results (either regrowth of hair, 48% [134 of 279], or no further hair loss, 42% [117 of 279]) vs 25% (4 of 16) who took placebo (sugar pill), according to an assessment of photographs by an independent panel of dermatologists.
  • 2 of 3 men who took PROPECIA regrew hair, as measured by hair count. All men in the study who were not taking PROPECIA lost hair.
  • A majority of men who took PROPECIA were rated as improved by doctors—77% (210 of 271) vs 15% (2 of 13) with placebo.
  • A majority of men who took PROPECIA reported that their bald spot got smaller, their hair loss slowed down, and the appearance of their hair improved.

What’s more, in the first year of the study, 86% (587 of 679) of men who took PROPECIA maintained hair or increased the number of visible hairs vs 42% (282 of 672) who took placebo.

In practice, the only way to know how effective it will be for you is to take it for between 6 months to a year. I personally believe that it's not only helped me retain my existing crown hair but that it has also added some density. I plan to continue using it until a better option comes along.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Guest Ian512017155

If your going bald at 23, which is around the age that I did, the sooner you get on prepecia the better! Dont wait around and go to a doctor that will prescribed you generic proecia. I started to lose hair around 21 and started propecia, rogaine, and nizoral and revivogen shampoo, along with biotin 5000 and msm 1500, both grows my hair like crazy, it doesnt help regrowing hair but just growing the hair you have now. All of these helped me in at 28 I currently have the same hairline and no other hair loss since I was 21; however, each person responds differently and will have different results

Guest Ian512017155

No use generic propecia and if you are already on it then great! I been on regular propecia for about 4 years then finally I came to this site and people was talking about the generic from, I wish I would have sooner it would saved me a lot of money.

dear friends i am 30 and my hair fall is much and i have grown bald from fore head so i just want to know weather i can take finpecia its a same version of propecia which is made in india by cipla company , so friends i just want to know who has regrown his hair with the propecia and minoxidil , so pls guys let me know the medicine with whom i can grow my hair in my bald area pls friends sujjest some idea so tht i grow hair on my bald area

I use propecia- not the generic version. Today I bought 6 months worth. It certainly halted the hairs that used to fall out or land in my hand.

Biotin may grow hair on the body :( , at least this is what I have read but haven't had the experience using it.

I started using MSM but will leave it for now & only use it after surgery for the first few months

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

I am a 23 year old who is going bald as I am genetically predisposed. It is becoming more and more noticeable and my hairline near my temples is beginning to recede.I have been on Propecia for about 3 months now and the only real effect I noticed was a itchy tingly phase a month or so in which went away. I haven't experienced any other side effects that I am aware of.

My question is, how do I measure how well the drug is doing in terms of slowing my hair loss down?

Can someone who began using Propecia in their early 20s and is now bald please tell me about their experience with the drug and how much they think it slowed their hair loss down.

Thanks,

BaldingGuy4

My hair started falling out at age 18. I wasn't one of those unlucky guys who ended up like Captain Picard by 20, but it was definitely receding. At age 21, I started taking finasteride each day (I would break a Proscar tablet into four pieces with a knife and take one piece each morning). It definitely slowed my hair loss down to a crawl and might have even reversed it a little on my crown.

I have been taking the pills almost each day for the last five years now. Yes, my hair has still continued to fall out, but very slowly. My most dramatic hair loss was between ages 18-21, which was before the pill.

Currently, I am a Norwood 2. My crown is kind of thin, but the most pronounced part of my hair loss is in the front hairline, which has an M shape. Think Jude Law but only half as bad.

• 3 years later...