Fin and Dut

munchkinman

After some research it looks like dutasteride is better at suppressing scalp DHT, and just 0.5mg a day does a better job then 1mg of finasteride. My question is why are more people not on dut, is it due to more sides?

Also would the risk of sides increase dramatically if one were to take 1mg of fin and 0.5mg of dut a day, as I am considering adding dut to my regimen after a year on fin (in 3/4 months time) if still no improvement?

Thanks.

Munchkinman,

As far as I know, the biggest difference between duasteride and finasteride is that duasteride blocks both forms (type 1 and type 2) of the alpha-reductase enzyme that's associated with the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone - the hormone responsible for hair loss, whereas finasteride only blocks type 2.

However, it was my understanding that only the type 2 enzyme is actually associated with the significant testosterone to dihydrotestosterone conversion as far as hair loss is concerned, and only blocking type 2 prevents genetic baldness as effectively as blocking both type 1 and 2.

Additionally, I think most people utilize finasteride (specifically in Propecia) above duasteride because it's what's been tested and proven safe and effective for treating male hair loss.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Dutasteride costs a lot more than Finasteride. That is one reason people take the Fin. I take both, but only because my insurance helps pay for Dutasteride.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Hi,

i am in the same Situation,. I have been taking Finasterid for 2 years but I am not happy with it. In the last 2 months I have been trying Dutasterid topical, but I think that it doesn't help.

Now I am on finasterird daily and one capsel Dutasterid a week.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Guys be careful and consult your local Doctor prior to experimenting with mixing Fin and Dut. I see this all too often. Playing with medication no matter how strong can still cause long term damage if unmonitored.

Mike

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*