Seeking Guidance Please...Anything will be helpful

Alright guys I've been coming to this site on and off since probably late 2007. So ive done a good amount of research. I've finally made an initial decision to make at least push for a HT. Basically I'm just really tired of hats. Really putting a damper on my life man. I'm sure many of you understand so I'm not gonna go on a rant. Let's just say I have reached the point where I have had enough. So I am now kind of just looking for guidance. So I guess I'll just sort of go through my thoughts and questions...im not expecting any one person to answer everything but please feel free to comment wherever you see fit. Keep in mind that some things i may say, I know better, just speaking out of frustration.

Alright so first off, I'm am African American and looking to get a fue. I really really don't want a big scar in the back of my head. I mean who does. I want to be able to wear my hair short. However I have not been able to find many good pics of African Americans Hair translplants let alone FUEs. Any links or pics would be greatly appreciated. I kno it FUTs are widely considered to give you more coverage for your money. I guess I'm not necessarily looking for it to be extra thick or anything. I am totally fine with the "buzzed I'm not going bald look". Is that even possible to coordinate that with a surgeon??. Or I could easily just shave the sides and just have the top. I've also read that African American hair is curly so not as many grafts are needed to achieve a thicker look? So I'm thinking maybe a 1500 or 2000 grafts or so? And as far is the scarring from fue is concerned, I'm not too worried about it. I have a darker complexion so I can't see scarring being that noticeable or a problem. Plus I've seen plenty of posts where the stated they didnt notice any scarring.

I reside in the state of nc. I've looked at a few surgeons recommended on this site and most of them require a consultation for a price. I'm looking for the best yet least expensive fue surgeon if at all possible? Is there a price range here? I think $10 per graft is a little much..any information would greatly be appreciated.

Now hypothetically say I did decide to go with a fut. For coverage/thickness sake. How long are we talking for the scar to heal? And I know I'll never be able to shave my head completely. So, what are the chances I would at least be able to wear my hair short one day? Or would I have to rock a mini fro for the rest of eternity lol. How about how Michael Vick wears his hair? Would that be possible..I am not familiar with the 2 and 3 blades you guys say. and how long after surgery would it take to heal, where i could go in public with out people noticing? and is scar healing anything different with african americans? I believe i read something about it before but do not recall. Correct me if I'm wrong but FUTs generally go for 4-5 per graft (if there is any good surgeons for less please let me know, don't care if it's India or somewhere). But any honest feedback would be nice.

But here is the thing...I am only 25...Looking at a 5A maybe. I guess is started when I was around 21 or when I had braids. Didn really notice it until after I cut my hair. I think that could have accelerated the process (traction alopecia). I already know what you guys are going to tell me. But I have put alot of thought into this over the years. You are going to probably tell me to wait. But I am young now, I feel like I should have my hair now. If this gives me 5 to 10 years then so be it. I don't really mind shaving my head when I get older but I need to be living my life to the fullest now. They'll probably have some new method by then anyway. and there is this notion (could be my frustration talking), that even after a transplant you still need to be on meds??!! Isn't that the point of a transplant. Not to have to do that anymore. I dont want, every time i go on a trip, to be worried about "oh, did i forget my freakin minoxidil and pills". I know you need to predict future hairless maybe throughout genetics and also need to stabilize it. I really don't know much about my biological father. I know he is bald now, but I know he had hair at my age. And my grandfathers on my moms side Didn go much further then I am now and he was like 78 and that is where i get most of my genetics believe it or not but i know genetics can be a tricky thing.

As far as stabilizing it. I've tried every natural method I could find. I took procerin for about 3 months. Then starting taking provillus for about a year and a half. Tried biotin, protein, nioxin, hair products to make my hair healthier, etc.. I just can't see myself taking finasteride. I can not have limp dick. And it's not meant to work on the frontal hairline anyhow, which is what I desire the most.

So first I'd like to see the best yet least expensive fue surgeon. I don't care if I have to travel to India or someplace as long as travel fare plus surgery doesn't cost more then it originally would..and I know someone will say price shouldn matter when selecting a good surgeon, but still have to take it into consideration. There always has to be a way to get the bang for your buck. And then as a second option FUTs. I guess answer this, if i were to get a FUT would i EVER, (with what we know now, concealers, scar FUE, etc.. and EVER being the key word) be able to wear my hair short. Say like how dwayne wade or obama has theirs?? Oh, and one more thing, if you can tell from the pics.. I have these lines in my head (another reason why i want hair), I believe that is another result from the braids because they were NOT there before, believe me! If there is any procedure to remove them, or anything i can do. Please Please let me know. and the red mark is where i prefer my hairline start. Thanks for reading if you did. Any help or guidance will greatly greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

*Random sidenote questions*...Any idea why TV personalities who are balding dont get transplants? I know they have the money and the access to the best surgeons. There are a few political analysts on msnbc whos heads just look a complete mess. im just like why would you get on television like that.. also one such as tony Kornheiser from PTI, espn..Well he probably just doesn't care. But what about Mike Tirico from ESPN. and why did Joe Biden not go in for a second prodedure?.. Just curious lol.

5b32cdf184076_P1000149pint.JPG.f6cc259e506d304506e4f824c0c4f4b0.JPG

5b32cdf1f146f_P1000151paint.JPG.1d2927ea9e2853ecc9ea1ed7c0dc1108.JPG

5b32cdf211c5a_P1000153paint.JPG.3cb4491be19d5c8ee9bb61ee9065a6f1.JPG

5b32cdf21f70e_P1000154paint.JPG.543fa19cf333882d3aadfc98cd0c800e.JPG

5b32cdf22f113_P1000160paint.JPG.ff754786eaf47b71bf5c84ac11fba142.JPG

5b32cdf240a2f_P1000161paint.JPG.e986274220c69f354963f34ee5a89e8b.JPG

5b32cdf257266_P1000162paint.JPG.a34f44a10dac0b82d56acc8f7df85903.JPG

Edited by Sociallyakward

Are you aware that you appear to have a condition of the scalp called Cutis Verticus Gyrata? I noticed that you did not mention it but it is pretty apparent in your pics. I have the condition as well. I think many people that have it do not know what it is called because there is little info out there about it so I just thought I would tell you. This is of course not an official diagnosis because I am not a doctor. Good luck in whatever you decide. Personally I always think that African Americans should go FUE nowadays. Also, as young as you are, you should give finasteride a try. There are many many many people that take it and have no sides at all. I think that sides are kinda hyped up by a lot of people. Personally, I think you should not even mess with an HT if you wont get on meds, given your age and severity of loss.

Good luck to you.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Spanker..

NO!!! i was not aware of that at all. THANK YOU for that information. I did a quick google search, opened up the wiki and it say hair loss may occur over time??!! Whaaat?! Im gonna do more research but i'd be delighted if you told me about your situation. Like what you did? How did you find out? is there a cure or solution? I went to a dermatologist and everything because i suspected something like that, but she just looked at me and gave me some hair loss brochures. smh..

Why do you say African Americans should go with FUE? Do you not think i have lost a lost of hair? I was on provillus for a year and a half vitamins, shampoo, and i believe it work a little. But was that not enough? Whats the difference with finasteride? and does it work on hair lines? any examples or cases such as mine where finasteride drastically improved that you could show me? i guess ill do some more research in the meantime.

Thanks again.

First of all, the red line you drew in is ENTIRELY too aggressive (low). You need to re-evaluate your expectations or you will be dissappointed.

I thinks African Americans should go FUE because you have a more difficult time hiding the scar of an FUT.

Finasteride will not bring your hairline back, but it will likely help you keep what you have for an extended time. Finasteride is a DHT blocker, which is what causes your hair to fall out and stop growing.

I found out I had CVG when they shaved my head when I joined the Army at 18, and I figured out what it was actually called after much research about 12 years later. I had to tell the dermatologist what I had....he said no that is not what you have....then he went and got the book and was said I was right and he was wrong.

Personally I think that your cas is too severe, as is mine, for excsion. But you look like a god candidate for sibcision. Look it up.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

hmmm, Ive read about placing your expectations too high. But if guys are able to cover the entire top of their head, how come you say it is too aggressive? number of grafts? or the fact that its an FUE?

Im gonna start back minoxidil. But finas, dont think i can do. I've been looking at some FUE docs, and cheapest i can find is 7 per graft. not sure if i can even afford that depending on the financing options available.

What about an FUT then FUE scar repair? This guy's looks incredible.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/158137-9-month-fue-scar-repair-black-man-dr-lindsey-mclean-va.html

I did some quick searching on sub and excision. You think that would really work? Have you spoken to any docs about it? Looks like mostly for acne scars. i thought the only option was a scalp reduction. Can i ask what your plan is? It seems as if a HT would cure all if you dont think CVG is causing the hairloss. If you have hair then the lines wont show right? and it seems a subsicion is relatively inexpensive compared to a HT. Like $500 or so. How come you haven't gone through with it already? Is your plan HT then subsicion or Vice Versa?