Positive Results after Scalp Reduction?

Hi,

I know everyone is against scalp reductions, but I have the rare skin condition of Cutis Verticis Gyrata (grooves on scalp--crown area). Has anyone experienced a scalp reduction and can say that they got positive results and minimal scarring from the procedure? I don't have alot of options, and scalp reduction is one of them. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.

BlueMan23,

How do you feel you would benefit from a scalp reduction? It is my understanding with your condition that pulling the skin tighter will not help smooth the grooves.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

This is true TTP. The "reduction" would actually be excision of some of the groves. He is a lucky one that has most of his issues in the crown as I understand it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Exactly Spanker... The grooves are on my crown. You're right though TTP... pulling it tighter will not remove any remaining grooves... that might take a subcision procedure, in which the fibers holding the groove in place are pulled free.

The reduction will remove most of the grooves according to my Dr. I just feel kinda like a guinea pig because I can't even find someone who has recently had a scalp reduction done. Thanks for your comments though! I am trying to keep all of my options in mind.

Like a donor scar, if too much width is removed at one time and too much tension is placed on the closure, it will stretch and leave a wide scar. If you can put up with it, it would probably work in baby steps. I'm not sure how cutis verticus gyrata works, but if he can cut the fibers beneath the skin then he may be able to remove a good size portion at one time. Good luck to ya!!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Thanks for the support! Yep, I'm gonna ask my doctor about scar stretching. I seem to have a very loose scalp, so hopefully this will not be an issue. It is scary nonetheless, but I am trying to stay positive about it.

Thanks for your advice Doctor. I am trying to do as much research as I can, but there is very little information out there on treatments for Cutis Verticis Gyrata. Do you have any other suggestions, other than a scalp reduction? Thank You for your help.