Donor Scar and Hair Length

Hi All,

Can anyone who has been through a hair transplant please give me some honest input about the donor scar and hair length required to conceal it? I am planning on having a transplant done soon.

I have read multiple times that your hair should be 1/2" to conceal the scar. I currently have my hair cut to 1/2" on the sides and 5/8" in the back. I used to keep it as 3/8" at the sides and rear, but I am trying to go a little longer in preparation for what I would need at the transplant stage.

It is very tough for me to go too long, because I am so thin on top and so thick on the sides, that the sides willl look "poofy" if they get too long (over 1/2"). I suppose I could make the back a little longer it absolutely necessary, but I would prefer not to go longer than 5/8" or 3/4".

It seems that, although the rear hair is cut to 5/8", when I put my head down in a well lit mirror, I can still see some of the skin underneath. Therefore, I'm thinking that a scar might be obvious at certain angles from below. I'm also tall, so people would be looking up at my hair most likely.

Can anyone give me an honest opinion of how long I need to be to conceal a scar that the surgeon claims will be about 1mm in width? I'm obvious trying to conceal it from all angles, if possible.

Should I plan on having to use Dermatch? Does the scar disappear a little bit over time and maybe I can just deal with it until it fades away a little?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Check my blog for pics of mine. I also have dense donor but was completely bald up front.

I'd say it will take at least 1/2" to hide the staples and redness. After several months the redness will fade and start blending in to the surrounding skin. During that time I could cut my hair very short. Then at about a year the scar tissue will have fully formed. In most cases the final scar won't match the surrounding skin color perfectly so you will need to wear your hair at 1/2" or longer. My scar is whiter now than it was at 6 months. Luckily I wear my hair at over 1" so the scar is always out of sight. It's still small.

Just keep in mind that each clinic has different techniques so results will vary. And each person has their own healing/scarring characteristics. So choose your strategy and clinic wisely.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My HT Blog

BlueMan23,

Of course, there are always variables like donor hair density, hair caliber, scalp and hair color, etc. that come into play. But, I agree with what has already been stated, 1/2" is the rule of thumb for hiding a donor scar after surgery.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Half-inch is a rule of thumb, but according to how "well" you scar, this half inch

may not be completely concealing.

If you don't know how "well" you will scar, go for 5/8", just to be on the safe side.

Then you can experiment with half-inch.

take care...

Hey thanks for all the input! I think I'll go in planning on 5/8", and then see how it goes. Has anyone used Dermatch or something similar soon after the transplant to hide the redness?

It varies, but I agree that a half inch often is plenty....unless you have significant shock loss around the scar (uncommon) or are a poor scar former, or you have very thin hair around your head. I've posted examples of all of these. Best to check with your doctor beforehand. I tell folks, let it grow a bit preop and then if you want, you can get a hair cut a week or 2 postop when you have an idea of the length of hair you actually need for cover.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr Simmons has similar concerns as to what Dr Lindsey has stated above.

It may help to know that just prior to the removal of the donor hair, the hair is trimmed above and below the incision to make it easier to keep the hair away from the sutures. Life is easiest if the donor hair is 2 inches long. Even 1/2 inch long hair can hide the sutures if Dr. Simmons trims as little hair as possible.

A patient's donor scar may be pink for 6 months post-op. A few patients may get some shedding above or below the incision in the first few months. For these reasons we ask patients to grow their hair 1 inch long by their surgery day - post-op to ask their hair stylist to look at the donor scar before cutting your hair too short.

I hope this helps.

Louise

Lead Hair Transplant Technician for Dr. Cam Simmons at the Seager Medical Group

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• Moderators

There is no way to tell beforehand how long you will have to leave your hair in order to cover the scar because you don't know how the scar will heal. Some people are lucky enough to have very thin scars that cover easily and others end up with wider scars that are harder to cover. Also a lengthy scar will not always have the same thickness along the entire length. Some areas may be very fine and easy to cover while another section may not be quite as good.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.