Question: How long to wait between FUE & FUT Procedure?

Question:

I know that you have to wait a year between strip procedures so that the scalp has a chance to heal, etc... However, what if the patient wanted a FUE follow up from a recent FUT?

For example, a patient undergoes 1,000 graft FUT in January but by March he realizes that he wants to be more aggressive. Can he go back in March and get a 1,000 FUE? If not, how long must he wait?

Also, vice versa: he gets FUE in January, realizes he wants to be more aggressive. When is he cleared for going back for FUT? Does the one year rule still apply? Why?

The donor hair in FUE isn't coming from the immediate scar area so wouldn't it be alright? Or does the recipient site play a significant role in this scenario too? Let's say there was no initial shock loss.

In general, how long does one have to wait between FUE procedures?

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

I believe the one-year rule applies for the recipient area and not for the donor. I'm fairly certain you can have a strip taken sooner than one year, so long as you're not transplanting into the same area, and I don't see why you couldn't do the same with FUE. Perhaps a clinic/doctor can weigh in here though.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

If you're transplanting into the same recipient area then it does need a year to heal, regardless of the procedure type.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Corvettester,

In my mind, the answer is one year for several reasons:

First, as you mentioned, the donor area simply isn't ready for a follicular extraction case a month into healing from a follicular unit transplantation incision. This is too much trauma to the area too soon, and even a less invasive procedure like FUE is probably too much strain on healing tissue.

Second, you should really wait the full year because until this point, you're really uncertain how the results will mature, if a second procedure is warranted, and in what amount.

As far as the recipient area is concerned, the grafts should be fully anchored by the 7 day mark, but creating additional incisions this soon after a procedure could potentially alter the growth of the resting follicles (though unlikely) and cause unnecessary damage to the recipient area and delay growth via altered blood flow.

My guess is that most qualified hair restoration surgeons will recommend waiting close to a year as well, but I'm nearly positive they will insist on waiting more than a month.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks Future HT Doc. Interesting stuff.

So when they do two or three day FUE procedures, they work in sections, right? As in the right side one day, the center the next day and left side on the third day?

Corvettester

Are you getting hair greed, Corvettester? ;) Your hair should just now be starting to thicken good. I think it looks real good!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Not at all... I mean, not any more than I usually do.

I'm just now really starting to look into and learn about FUE. Before, I focused all my attention on FUT.

If I need a touch up, I'm beginning to think it'd be more realistic to do FUE considering that it would be such a small job. I mean, FUT for 200 grafts doesn't make sense to me... should it?

Corvettester

I wouldn't do 200 grafts via strip. It would cost less, and the strip would be fairly small, but if you can get the fue at a reasonable price it's the way to go. I had 400 fue done for my temple points and the procedure was very easy in terms of recovery.

I wouldn't do 200 grafts via strip. It would cost less, and the strip would be fairly small, but if you can get the fue at a reasonable price it's the way to go. I had 400 fue done for my temple points and the procedure was very easy in terms of recovery.

Hey dude,

That's exactly what I was thinking.

If you get a chance, could you post some better pictures of your temple points? The ones you have up now don't really show them well.

Thanks.

Corvettester

Yes, no problem. It has been almost 1 year so I'm due to post some pics. Will try and snap some tomorrow....