How to calculate possible total doner follicles count?

So I have been doing my research but not sure how to calculate the total number of follicle units I could have for all the possible transplants I decide to do? Assuming I have average doner density and laxity.

I was told people have anywhere from 4,000 to 8,000 follicle units and 6,000 being the average. But how do they get to these numbers. Is it the number of follicle units per cm2 x Area of total strip area?

Also, with average laxity, how much total strip can one cut out for all possible hair transplants?

Thanks!!

I think the average is more like 7000. However, if you want to get the most out of your donor, you need to go to a doc that can do that for you. For example, H&W can get over 8k routinely in 2 procedures whereas many other docs cannot. Of course, your laxity needs to be there.

I had one coalition doc tell me that I would be lucky to get 3500 in one procedures and Dr. Rahal was able to get almost 5300 leaving a very thin scar. I still have approx. 5000 in the tank.

Hairs per graft as well as grafts per sq cm is how a good donor is determined. Luckily, I have both.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

How much donor you have available is basically what you have at the back of your head. 4000-8000gr is an estimation of average total donor supply. This average means some patients fall below or above this estimate. This number refers to number of grafts - not number of follicles. One follicle equals one hair.

A particular doctor/s cannot give anyone more donor. To say one doctor can extract more in one session or mulitple sessions while others cannot isn't accurate. Often, the doctor's comfort level is mistaken for lack of skill to take out a wide strip.

There are many talented and capable ht physicians that have different philosophy on hair restoration. Some are more aggressive and some more conservative. Fortunately, patients are much the same in their approach to their hair restoration - some want more aggressive approach and some more conservative.

Let me clarify. I agree that multiple docs have the skill to get a huge number of grafts out in one procedure but their philosophy is to play it a bit safer. That is totally understandable. Where I have issues is when you consult with a doc and they tell you that you CANT get X number of grafts in one procedure when it turns out that you can its just that they were not confortable doing it. They should be more open about that and state why their philosophy is such so one can make a proper decision.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

The only way to know for sure is to get a consultation and get examined, unfortunately. As mentioned, somewhere around 6000 is probably a decent "average", but the doc could turn around and say you have 3000 or could turn around and say you have 10,000!

The other thing when it comes to HTs (amongst many variables) is also going to be the quality of your donor hair. Some people are lucky enough to have thick hair that can make 2,500 grafts look like somebody else's 5,500 graft procedure.

I don't think you'll be able to make any accurate guess as to how much donor hair you have by yourself, unfortunately. The only way to get any certainty is to see a doctor and get a proper examination. The odds are you'll have something around the 5,000-7,000 mark but everybody is an individual and you're really in the dark until you have a qualified doctor examine your specific hair.

In regards to your question on how much strip, Janna makes a good point. It all depends on your goals and your doctor's method. You could theoretically have 5 or 6,000 grafts taken out in one session in some circumstances. Other doctors might only want to go to 3 or 4,000 in one session, some even less. Have a firm idea of what your goals are, make sure they're realistic (i.e you're not a NW 6 hoping for 75 grafts/cm2!) and then find a doctor whose approach you feel most comfortable with.

Thank you everyone for your very helpful responses.

Let's say if I have used up all my donor for the strip method and have already obtained 6,000 grafts..how much more can I get from FUE?

That depends on your donor supply. Everyone is different in terms of available donor, but you certainly will be able to get more grafts with the FUE, it could be a few hundred grafts perhaps over 1000 grafts, it really depends on the quality of your donor.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians