Bent hair post HT

Hello...

I am at around 4 months post my HT. Things have been going on fine till now and all the grafts that were planted have shed. Now, I am at a stage where I am starting to see some growth (the growth has been slow, but steady). Recently, I noticed that some hair (not really sure if they are native hair or the transplanted hair) have grown out with a bend towards the end. They look real different from rest of the hair. Some of them look real skewed and it appears as if some pressure was placed on the part that has a bend. Is such an occurrence normal?

If its of any significance, I was real gentle with my grafts and I had some grafts left till about the end 2 month period

Appreciate your expert comments...

There are usually issues with the texture of transplanted hair while it's growing in. During the very early weeks and months of growth (and 4 months post-op would definitely count as this period) the hair can have a kink to it. Texture often continues to improve even after full growth has been achieved at 12 months and beyond.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hello...

I am at around 4 months post my HT. Things have been going on fine till now and all the grafts that were planted have shed. Now, I am at a stage where I am starting to see some growth (the growth has been slow, but steady). Recently, I noticed that some hair (not really sure if they are native hair or the transplanted hair) have grown out with a bend towards the end. They look real different from rest of the hair. Some of them look real skewed and it appears as if some pressure was placed on the part that has a bend. Is such an occurrence normal?

If its of any significance, I was real gentle with my grafts and I had some grafts left till about the end 2 month period

Appreciate your expert comments...

hairsprint,

This is more common than you might think. It happened to me on all four of my HT propcedures. Time will take care of it. The initial regrown hair shafts make their journey through several layers of scalp and IMHO why the intial regrowth hair shafts are bent when they first surface above the scalp line.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I had many hairs that came out very wavy when they first started growing. Things will take care of themselves in time. I believe some of the follicles have to straighten out after surgery.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

IMHO, the bent hair happens as the new regrown hair shafts travel through several layers of soft tissue that are new pathways to the surface.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Its a great relief to know that this experience isn't out of the ordinary and that several of you have experienced it before. Thanks for your comments

Gillenator's view about the shafts' moving through layers of tissue sounds logical. However, its strange that not all new hair shafts look this way, some do appear straight and normal very similar to the native hair. Anyway, I hope all new hair growing out even out soon. Thanks again

• 1 month later...

Hair shafts have varying degrees of coarseness. In simple terms, it is the differences in hair shaft diameter as each hair grows out and matures. Most of us pay more attention to the length as it grows out when in fact it is the degree of coarseness that is more critical in gaining the illusion of coverage.

Gillenator

This type of thing seems to straighten itself out with time. I have never heard of anyone having this permanently post-op.

Gillenator